Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
At Haydays I noticed that for 2020 cat put a 15x137x1" ripsaw track on the Thundercat. The salesmen at the cat trailer said they switched to this track to improve handling and speed. I can't remember if it was the Ripsaw II or the standard ripsaw. Also, I don't recall if they were using the quiet or non-quite track. Does anyone know which (ripsaw I or II and quite vs non-quiet) is being used?

Does the non-quiet track offer any benefits? I've seen several forum posts where people have spent the time to grind off the quite track ramps. This seems a bit amazing to me. That said, I have often thought that I can feel vibration from the idler wheels and quite ramps and have wondered if switching to the non-quiet track would eliminate that vibration and noise.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Looks like the standard Ripsaw with quiet track on machines that I have seen.
I ran a standard non-quiet track last season on a 137" skid. I also swapped quite often to riding machines with quiet tracks. I rode 1.25" lugs and studs on all the machines. I didn't ride often on hard pack. The noise and vibration difference was pretty tough to notice with my riding. Maybe someone without studs can verify what they noticed on hard pack.
I'm trying to imagine what gains can be made by grinding off the quiet track ramps. I can't verify any speed gains. One thing I did notice on the standard track was a little difference in hyfax wear. I could see every idler wheel location on the hyfax. I'm used to studding quiet tracks, so studding the standard was about the same. Stud failure rate also appears to be about the same between the two tracks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know that you did not notice substantial differences in vibration.

I would love to hear from hard-pack riders who have used the non-quite track.

Is it still true that Cat is the only company using the quite track concept? My point being that if the other three brands aren't using the concept, then it seems completely valid to use either track without issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts