Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take this for what it is as it is NOT a ride test....yet!

Today I finished assembly and installing my rear suspension and that was as far as I was going to go. But, I grabbed my new Nology HotWires and installed those too. My initial impression is this....I notice that my spark is definitely more blue. I have never seen spark this blue on ANY of my toys, ever. It is definitely more intense spark. Tomorrow I will dump some gas in the ZR and fire it up. I don't expect this to tell me anything more just yet and will wait until I get some actual seat time to give full review. But for now, definitely, spark is more blue. I was kind of surprised to be honest and now I can't wait to actually ride with these things!!!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Nov 14 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Take this for what it is as it is NOT a ride test....yet!

Today I finished assembly and installing my rear suspension and that was as far as I was going to go. But, I grabbed my new Nology HotWires and installed those too. My initial impression is this....I notice that my spark is definitely more blue. I have never seen spark this blue on ANY of my toys, ever. It is definitely more intense spark. Tomorrow I will dump some gas in the ZR and fire it up. I don't expect this to tell me anything more just yet and will wait until I get some actual seat time to give full review. But for now, definitely, spark is more blue. I was kind of surprised to be honest and now I can't wait to actually ride with these things!!![/b]
Jeff, where do you find these wires and how much do they cost? Ron.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got mine direct from Nology, ordered online. They were $37.24 each plus $8 shipping (standard UPS fee these days). Dennis Kirk sells them ($46 each) and Thunder Products sells them too I think. Cheapest I found them was direct from Nology.

This is C-Notes doing, he's been using them for years. If you guys have questions about them you should talk with him.

Just a quick note....Nology says best results are obtained with standard non resistor plugs. I had resistor plugs hooked up. I plan on trying non resistor plugs to see if there is any difference but that will come later.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Theory Question: Ignoring the interference with peoples' houses along the trails for a second- can nonresistor plugs be run in an efi sled? I would think the ECU wouldn't like them much.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Do they come with endcaps?
Can you thread them right into the original coils no problem?
Are you letting out a big secret of C-notes?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes
yes
nope

I think he's talked several others into trying them too, so not a secret anymore. It shouldn't be kept secret if they work. They claim these wires can reduce emissions and that is a good reason (any performance gains withstanding) for anybody to get them if they actually do it. I am hoping for improved cold starts with them. I am 2 pulls away from EFI now as it is and if I can get 2 pull cold starts than I am glad I spent the money for that reason alone.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I was just looking at their Canadian distributors. The only 2 in Ontario are close to me. Just fired off an email to one of them. Of course I have other ways of making nice blue spark too. :secret:

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured thats what it was. I'll talk to you about that sometime, I have a couple extra's. :D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Sounds good! I still haven't taken any of my shocks apart yet for this season. May have to wait until next year, but I'm sure you'll have some good feedback for me by then too. :D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Nov 14 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Nov 14 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just looking at their Canadian distributors. The only 2 in Ontario are close to me. Just fired off an email to one of them. Of course I have other ways of making nice blue spark too. :secret:[/b]
Better plan on increasing inner diameter and depth of flywheel to make room for addt'l copper needed to even come close

[/b][/quote]
There's other options without going to that extreme, but only Tom knows that one now lol

So would the average user need to change their jetting to accommodate the nology wires?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think the idea is a capacitor discharge of stored electrons at the center electrode. Source voltage (and proportional current) would dictate filling the cap to it's farad rating, but, I'm just guessing.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tomcat-1 @ Nov 14 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is the theory of non resistor plugs with the Nology wires?[/b]

I don't know. It's in the instructions.

C-Note says don't bother. He's been running them for years with resistor plugs so screw it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Now the question is... does the added voltage increase HP, or does increased compression require more voltage to ignite the fuel mixture at a given A/F ratio?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't care if it increases hp, I just want better cold starts. 2 pulls Tom, I'm 2 pulls away from EFI right now when it's stone cold.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks for the link!
The ignition system is dependent on voltage, resistance and current. Added resistance will affect the ignition timming in micro seconds. It will take longer to build enough "ions" at the center elctrode to jump the gap to the ground strap (electrode). The voltage is critcal when increasing atmospheres such as turbo or supercharging the engine at high rpm's. If the stock ignition system can not support the need for increased voltage, an incomplete burn of the A/F mixture will occur at a given engine rpm.
The Nology wires are proven to increase voltage, to jump the air gap and ignite the A/F mixture.

1 - 20 of 335 Posts