Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 XF9000 with 1100 miles.

I think it started last year but cant remember for sure. Reverse works normal but I get this noise (see video).

https://youtu.be/QoCnh8zrK8M

It makes the noise under two conditions.

1) Right after the key is turned off

2) When taking OUT of reverse. It doesn't do it going INTO reverse.

The noise doesn't seem to last more than a second (as heard in the video)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The nylon gear, on the reverse actuator, is stripped. Just went through this at seasons end last season.

Fix is to re-clock the nylon gear.

After I fixed mine, and made the video, I realized the Most correct answer would be to place the stripped portion at 6 o'clock and Not at 9 o'clock.
Clocking at 9 o'clock places the stripped section very close to the worm gear, when in reverse, as noted here.

Take the reverse actuator off the sled, remove gear cover, gear cover is just a light press fit, remove that little clip, re-clock gear so the bad part is at 6 O'Clock, and reassemble.

Again, place bad part of gear at 6 O'Clock.

Word has it that the latest shift actuator has a brass gear, not nylon. However, I have not confirmed this.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nylon gear, on the reverse actuator, is stripped. Just went through this at seasons end last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnXFWKaVzRQ

Fix is to re-clock the nylon gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m6VOVQQEb0

After I fixed mine, and made the video, I realized the Most correct answer would be to place the stripped portion at 6 o'clock and Not at 9 o'clock.
Clocking at 9 o'clock places the stripped section very close to the worm gear, when in reverse, as noted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBATXDVEbV8

Take the reverse actuator off the sled, remove gear cover, gear cover is just a light press fit, remove that little clip, re-clock gear so the bad part is at 6 O'Clock, and reassemble.

Again, place bad part of gear at 6 O'Clock.

Word has it that the latest shift actuator has a brass gear, not nylon. However, I have not confirmed this.
Hope this helps.
Excellent. Thanks a lot man! These reverse actuators look almost identical to the pop-up headlight actuators on my Trans Am. It made a noise almost identical to this when the nylon gear in the headlamp actuator was stripped. Ironically, you could do a similar fix by clocking the gear in a different location and it would be fine. Thanks again, you've been most helpful!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This also started happening to my XF7000 yesterday. If I decide to re-clock the nylon gear on mine it looks like I need to take the whole actuator assembly off the sled right? When I take the 3 screws off do I need to watch for any loose parts behind it? Is reassembling it going to be something I can do fairly easy?
Sorry for the questions but I've never tore into this sled but I want to do it myself to learn something.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
FYI here I think if you replace with NEW one they upgraded things, so they last longer,
as not everyone flipping the gear seems to have good luck with it resolving the issue here,. many work but still have the grinding like noise and that will me soon down the road, that gear is going to have to be replaced and they DON"T sell just the gear, need to find someone maybe to make just that gear and sell, bet they would sell a bunch LOL

·
Registered
912 Posts
The actuator needs to be removed to perform this procedure.
Nothing will fall off the back side. No need to disturb the extension shaft or detente spring. You'll see when you get down there.
ReClock stripped portion of gear to 6 o'clock.
Install, fire it up, at shift At Least 3 times.
If it doesn't grind, you just did a free fix. If it grinds, you need a new actuator.
fm mrbb....I think if you replace with NEW one they upgraded things, so they last longer,
What "things" have been upgraded? Hopefully it's a brass gear.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks to news from HellFlyer, TY4Stroke, the upgraded actuator includes a Brass Gear. Very good news.

I may just swap mine for the new design. Rather than waiting for the re-clocked original one to fail again.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks to news from HellFlyer, TY4Stroke, the upgraded actuator includes a Brass Gear. Very good news.

I may just swap mine for the new design. Rather than waiting for the re-clocked original one to fail again.
Thats a Good thing as I hate buying parts that I know that will fail!!! It sounds like Arctic Cat is listening to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I'll re-clock mine tonight but I'll also order a new actuator so I have it on hand for when I need it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think I'll re-clock mine tonight but I'll also order a new actuator so I have it on hand for when I need it.
Thanks!
as far as I know they won't sell just the replacement gear, you have to buy the whole thing, 125+ bucks
BUT if you manage to find just a part number for the new brass gear, please post it here, I would buy one myself
but hard to justify buying a whole unit when mine works?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 2012 actuator looks nothing like those ones shown here. I can see no teeth or gears on the outside. Maybe that's why they weren't part of that detent update. I haven't had any trouble or any noise going into reverse, I'm having trouble with the sled coming out of forward gear while I'm driving. I suspect it's more likely the bushing being worn on the top gear in chaincase. Just thought I let people know what a 2012 actuator looks like inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 15 9000 started doing the same thing this year.. cept i have 4600 miles.. tried re-clocking the gear to no avail. Still slipping. Guess ill bite the bullet and order the new one, hopefully they learned and replacec the plastic gear with a brass one..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good point Frozen, and it only takes a couple mins to pop off that cover, problem is i dont have a dealer close to me anymore, so i usually order everything.. May have to make a trip for this one.. Burns me, because i have a 15 7000 sitting here thats gonna do the same thing eventually..

·
Registered
912 Posts
...problem is i don't have a dealer close to me anymore, so i usually order everything...
Same here. I made the call, no clicking of the mouse, to be sure. The parts department removed the cap to confirm the actuator was updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 Yamaha Viper is making the same noise. Started with barely 400 miles on the unit. Had it in the shop just after it started happening for a firmware update and the repair guy asked about it. He wasn't sure of the source (or so he implied) and just waved it off since the sled still shifts foward/reverse just fine. Wouldn't one expect troubles shifting if the gear was stripped causing this noise?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much everyone for posting the above videos and discussion! I was able to diagnose and fix my Viper's actuator problem based on this information even before I completely lost my ability to shift. I made one small modification to the above instructions and wanted to see if this made sense to anyone else. Rather than rotating the stripped section to the 6:00 position, I placed it in the 4:00 position since the gear rotates clockwise when activated. That way if (when?) the gear should strip again in the future, I can continue to rotate the same nylon gear one additional clock hour each time to restore function without having to replace the unit. Since the reverse gear rotates 90 degrees when actuated, this should allow me the opportunity to repair by re-clocking a total of five times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts