Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so here goes.
i just picked up a 98 zr600 that needed a stator. i had a stator from my 2000 zr700. after carefull inspection it appereared to bevery similar. i had to use the zr 700 stator plate because the mounting flange for the stator was different. it all fit together and plugged in. but no spark. i installed new plugs. same thing. i replaced coil and cdi box still no spark. i have unplugged the key switch and kill switch plugs. my headlight lights up bright when i pull it over. but no spark. so i changed the coil and cdi box to one from a 2000 zr700. i nfigured maybe the stator gave a different resistance output than my 98 zr600 stator and the cdi wasnt reading the stator properly. the grounds are all clean and good. occasionally i get one quick very bright blue spark but thats it.

is it the stator?
all parts i switched came from perfectly running sleds. oh, and the sled is carbed but the zr700 stator i got was from a efi sled.

i measured the stator and i had black to green 16 ohms green to white 16ohms and white to black 32 ohms. i set the multimeter to 2000 just like the youtube video.
i also measured my pickup and it was around 91 ohms i think. and i also cleaned the steel keys on the outside of the flywheel for the pickup.

please help so i can have some fun

·
Registered
710 Posts
look at the pins up at the top of the page. it sounds like a tss issue to me. i had the same thing happen to mine last year. once you read that thread its very easy to fix

·
Registered
6 Posts
I my self have a 98 zr 600 and I bought a new zr 600 motor last year and the motor had an EFI stator in it. I compaired my stator to the EFI stator and it was different. So I used my old one. If i where you I would just buy the right stator. The EFI and the carb Stator is different and running a 700 stator could be your problem.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The stator for the 700 isn't producing enough voltage to give you spark. You would need the ECU and coils that goes with it minimum and possibly the flywheel, but that could throw timing off and also give you no spark.

The 98 uses a low speed 450 ohms coil and a 46 ohm high speed coil. This is thinner wires and many more turns meaning it produces a much higher voltage then the 2000 700 produces at equal RPM's.

Edit: Just check brown's and I don't see a 2000 700 EFI listed. Is the 700 stator really EFI? There would be a set of Orange and Blue wires coming off it that you don't use.

If the 700 is carbed and you use the CDI, coils, flywheel and timing sensor off the 700 it may work. I think you may have a timing issue. When testing it try with the 4 prong with yellow wires unplugged to be sure you don't have a switch issue coming into play.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zrphil @ Dec 20 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
alright so here goes.
i just picked up a 98 zr600 that needed a stator. i had a stator from my 2000 zr700. after carefull inspection it appereared to bevery similar. i had to use the zr 700 stator plate because the mounting flange for the stator was different. it all fit together and plugged in. but no spark. i installed new plugs. same thing. i replaced coil and cdi box still no spark. i have unplugged the key switch and kill switch plugs. my headlight lights up bright when i pull it over. but no spark. so i changed the coil and cdi box to one from a 2000 zr700. i nfigured maybe the stator gave a different resistance output than my 98 zr600 stator and the cdi wasnt reading the stator properly. the grounds are all clean and good. occasionally i get one quick very bright blue spark but thats it.

is it the stator?
all parts i switched came from perfectly running sleds. oh, and the sled is carbed but the zr700 stator i got was from a efi sled.

i measured the stator and i had black to green 16 ohms green to white 16ohms and white to black 32 ohms. i set the multimeter to 2000 just like the youtube video.
i also measured my pickup and it was around 91 ohms i think. and i also cleaned the steel keys on the outside of the flywheel for the pickup.

please help so i can have some fun[/b]
The ZR700 stator/ignition is unto itself. I'm with Kev, I don't think there ever was a ZR700 EFI. You would have to use the whole ZR700 ignition...flywheel and all and even then I don't know if it would work. The trigger may be different too. you'd be better off just getting a stator for your 600 ignition IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts