Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like everytime I go out, I come back with a new problem, but this time I really am clueless as to where to begin (Edit. this is on a 1999 ZL600EFI). Thankfully this site exists!! So yes, I went riding yesterday, and at first, the sled was a little hard to start (and backfired once) but then it caught and ran great all day, with the exeption of one bog and backfire right before lunch. I had new plugs that I hadN't put in so I switched the old one's out and had lunch. She got started again on the first pull and ran great again for another 20 miles. That's when I hit the brakes to come to a stop and then the RPM's dropped and it died. OK, I thought, that was weird. So I tried to start it up, and no go. After some looking around, I have no spark??? ANy ideas of where I should start looking, cause I'm at a loss!! I unplugged the kill switch, and still nothing and I'm not sure if it helps or not, but when i'm pulling the starter cord, the lights are coming on, so I guess there is power being generated, just no spark to the plugs.

So ya, I'd appreciate any help cause this is one area where I really don't know too much about!

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hope you are not in the same bad stator boat as me. But, it kinda sounds like stator problems. Damn you Arctic Cat Stators. bang your head

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking stator too but then when I noticed that all the lights are coming on when the cord is pulled, I thought maybe not, as power is being generated. Adn then tonight, when I saw that the coolant sensor was broken, and that this has wires feeding right into the stator, I was wondering if maybe this was my problem, but I have no idea if this sensor would have that kind of effect?? Does anyone else know or have any other input??

Thanks again!

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you've noticed that the temp sensor is broken, I would start there.
If that doesn't rectify the problem, you might be looking at the stator
like John Larson said.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to take it to the dealer and have them look at it, supposedly they have a guy at this dealership who is a whize at AC EFI electrical issues, while I just sit there staring at the sled without a clue, other than noticing that the coolant sensor was broken off! LOL I'll post what they find. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this coolant sensor is what's causing the sled not to spark and not the stator!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer confirmed it was the stator. Had a new one he could put in for $700 cdn with a 30 day warranty!! So on that note, I just got off the phone with RMStator and they are going to rebuild it for $200 cdn with a one year warranty. I'll make sure I drill holes in the case and put washers for spacing in before reassembling.

Guess this puts an end to the 50 mile season!!! :boohoo:

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1997EXT580 @ Feb 20 2007, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dealer confirmed it was the stator. Had a new one he could put in for $700 cdn with a 30 day warranty!! So on that note, I just got off the phone with RMStator and they are going to rebuild it for $200 cdn with a one year warranty. I'll make sure I drill holes in the case and put washers for spacing in before reassembling.

Guess this puts an end to the 50 mile season!!! :boohoo:[/b]
I bet your dealer is unhappy that he won't be getting his Bahamas vacation out of you - too bad... Hopefully the stator will arrive soon and you'll be off and running quickly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bet your dealer is unhappy that he won't be getting his Bahamas vacation out of you - too bad... Hopefully the stator will arrive soon and you'll be off and running quickly.
[/quote]

Too funny....well, he'll still be getting a couple hours service out of me for taking off the stator and putting it back on, but I'd have to be crazy to spend $700 on a part for a 9 year old $2000 sled when I have the option of spending a fraction of that!

·
Registered
950 Posts
How fast was the turnaround from RMStator? My wildcat is at the shop now, my fear is that its the stator. I'm prepared for the worst, but now i'm happy to know I have an option other than LOTS of cash for my 12 year old sled...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RMStator is about a 2.5 hour drive from where I live (and I don't have to worry about customs as you would shipping from the States), but the guy on the phone told me that they repair it the same day they get it and it's back being shipped the same day. Therefore, if you wanted to pay for overnight shipping from both ends, it could be back in your hands in 3 days.

Any problems with your RM stator so far HONDANNY???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.