Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno My 97 powder extreme (600 triple) doesn't want to start. I pulled the plugs and they are wet. I have no spark. Replaced plugs and still no spark. Had the coils tested and they are fine. I waited a day and the sled started on the first pull. I shut it off and it started again. I shut it off and no start. It wasn't getting spark again. I checked my wiring and found a ground wire that was needing fixed. All of the other wiring looks good. The snow is here and I'm missing out. I talked to AC and they suggested the coil sensor. This is quite an endeavor without a heated garage. Does anyone have any other ideas before I tear it down? All help is appreciated. bang your head

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Stator connectors can get coolant in them and cause the sort of thing you're describing. Maybe clean them up really well and get some good dialectric grease for them and see if that helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the ohms for the sensor and the stator. Everything is reading good. I think that my next step will be to take the sled into AC and let them pull the stator to check it. I would do it but I don't have a flywheel puller. Even if I could pull it, I couldn't get the part because our AC has two trucks stranded in Denver because of the weather. :angry_mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hows about the little switch in the throttle block?
On my Extreme, the little white plastic bushings were shot.
A couple bucks at the dealership fixed that right up.
Another thing you may wanna try if you still have it is the little plug with the card on it for the ign kill bypass.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
The post on this page called "I think my stator is shot" has a complete rundown on how to test the ignition system.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
slick Posted Today, 01:03 AM
The post on this page called "I think my stator is shot" has a complete rundown on how to test the ignition system.[/b]
I had checked the issues that you listed on the post. The one thing that I hadn't looked real hard at was the wiring that connects to the hood. I had some melting last year and maybe I missed something. The other thing is, I replaced the seat cover this summer and the sled worked before this. The problem started after I put it back together. The seat should only be a coincidence because the wiring under the seat shouldn't cause sporatic spark in the engine. I know that it isn't the safety switch in the throttle, either. This was the first thing that I checked. I had a Cougar that needed the washer replaced. I eventually just put in a bypass in the wiring.

I am appreciating the help. I think that I may have found a puller. I will get the stator removed and take it in to be checked.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Even if the TPS is fine, if there is to much play in the throttle, it will cut out spark. You can adjust it on top of the carbs.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
A TSS failure should not interfere with the sled starting, only running a speeds approaching engagement RPM. One area to check for an intermittent spark interuption is the plug cap. The plug caps are afriction fit on the wires, so removing the plug caps can cause a poor connectin. Twist the caps tighter on the wires and make sure the caps are making good contct with the plugs. If there is lots of black residue on the plug top, under the cap, that is from arcing and maybe new plug caps are in order.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tested the stator and coil 1 tested 500 ohms. Coil 2 tested19 ohms. I removed the stator and heated it up. Coil 1 tested 510 and coil 2 tested 22. According to the AC shop manual, coil 2 needs to be at least 29.6 to 44.4 ohms. I took the stator to AC and they tested it with the same results. They told me that the stator was the problem. I priced one out and they are higher than I can afford at this time. I will try to find a used or rebuild (checking ebay and salvage yards). Thanks for the help.

Took my 89 Panther up yesterday and had a blast with the kids and their 120 and Kitty cat. Even though the panther was fun, I sure missed the power of the extreme. I will have to post pics of the kids in the 120 forum.
:ridepride:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Get your stator rewound, places like Stator Corp, and you will spend way less than new and get a warranty. I think you can get it done for around $200.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been talking with RM Stator Inc. in Quebec. They are friendly and sound like a good company. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with them? I have decided to go with them and will be shipping my stator to them to repair. I was just looking if anybody knew of any "surprises" that might arise.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdle101 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have been talking with RM Stator Inc. in Quebec. They are friendly and sound like a good company. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with them? I have decided to go with them and will be shipping my stator to them to repair. I was just looking if anybody knew of any "surprises" that might arise.[/b]
I just got one from them. Works great and super fast shipping. Just make sure if you're shipping your core from the states put a less than $15 value on it because our government charges the recipient taxes and then they tack that on to your bill. You can get you're money back, minus loss on exchange rate, but it's a nuisance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdle101 @ Jan 8 2007, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have been talking with RM Stator Inc. in Quebec. They are friendly and sound like a good company. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with them? I have decided to go with them and will be shipping my stator to them to repair. I was just looking if anybody knew of any "surprises" that might arise.[/b]
I got a rebuilt stator from them a few weeks ago and it works great, I won it on Ebay, $149 + shipping. They will also sell you the parts to do it yourself if you want to go that route. There are several used and new stators on Ebay too. It was 10 days from the day I sent mine to the day I got one back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:super_happy: I finally got the stator back. I will need to tuff out the sub zero temps and get it put back together. We are getting snow regularly and I need to ride.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Jan 8 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sdle101 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just got one from them. Works great and super fast shipping. Just make sure if you're shipping your core from the states put a less than $15 value on it because our government charges the recipient taxes and then they tack that on to your bill. You can get you're money back, minus loss on exchange rate, but it's a nuisance.
[/b][/quote]
I should correct my post. Worked great for one day. They did honor their warranty and sent me another. Real pain tho.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts