Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, on the saturday, I cleaned my power valves because I could not go above 7000 rpm....I took the sled out for a test ride after and it ran like a rapped ape on steriods, I was hitting 105 and still accelerating when I let off the throttle, rpm maxing out at 8200. The next day I take it out for a ride and it runs great same as the day before without any problems.

I take it out for a few runs last night and I cannot go over 70 mph....and it feels like there is no power all the way thoughout the rpms....It does not have a bog, well off the line it sputters a little and when I hit 70mph it is like it hits a wall, max rpms around 7200. Also when I started it and let it warm up it did not sound good a lot of exaust smoke and there was a black spot on the snow where my sled was warming up....

I changed the plugs and that did not help anything...Anyone have any suggestions were I should look first? I think I may have a stuck pistion ring so I'm goign to check the compression tonight.....any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jamesie

·
Registered
145 Posts
i would think maybe bad fuel or water in fuel try and drain tank and start fresh. how old is fuel after 30 days its starts to loose octang. keep us informed good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you sucked up a Cannary when you were doing that 105mph. Give your Cat a cathartic to get the poo out and it'll be fine in the snow... Sorry just had to.. check that your powervalve cable is still on the cam. I have had them jump before. You might also start the sled and spray a little WD-40 around the gaskets and seals to find an air leak the poping sounds like a base gasket

·
Registered
82 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Mar 6 2007, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, on the saturday, I cleaned my power valves because I could not go above 7000 rpm....I took the sled out for a test ride after and it ran like a rapped ape on steriods, I was hitting 105 and still accelerating when I let off the throttle, rpm maxing out at 8200. The next day I take it out for a ride and it runs great same as the day before without any problems.

I take it out for a few runs last night and I cannot go over 70 mph....and it feels like there is no power all the way thoughout the rpms....It does not have a bog, well off the line it sputters a little and when I hit 70mph it is like it hits a wall, max rpms around 7200. Also when I started it and let it warm up it did not sound good a lot of exaust smoke and there was a black spot on the snow where my sled was warming up....

I changed the plugs and that did not help anything...Anyone have any suggestions were I should look first? I think I may have a stuck pistion ring so I'm goign to check the compression tonight.....any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jamesie[/b]
Its sounds like the same problem I had on my brand new f7 and on my zr 800 Both cases were with the powervalves. You may want check the servo motor to see if it is functioning properly

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
i would think maybe bad fuel or water in fuel try and drain tank and start fresh. how old is fuel after 30 days its starts to loose octang. keep us informed good luck[/b]
I added gas line anti-freeze today for my lunch run and it ran much better however it was hit and miss at WOT....sometimes 8100 rpm and 100+mph and others 7000 rpm and only 70 mph....so the culprit was and still is water in the gas until I drain the tank...

Hitting the 100 mph mark while it is -28 Celsius, -44 with wind chill is frigin cold....can you say instant forst bite on any exposed skin....I need a bigger windsheild....

I should have figured that it was water in the gas becasue I took the sled into a garage to clean the APV and took it back out the same night.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts