Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

According to the parts manuals, the 2019 models seem to have no more one way bearing in the clutch assembly.

Why did Textron remove this item?
There is no more engine braking without it...

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The 700 Diesel had no one way clutch or even a wet clutch. I think mine works as well or better than the transmission in my 700 TRV. Could be an issue if drive belt gets worn. I've towed very heavy trailers behind the Diesel, never felt unsafe. Honestly, wish my 700 TRV had the same CVT as the Super Duty Diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I removed my one way from my prowler. You still have engine braking but it doesn't work at low speed.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I notice with my Diesel, going down a mountain in Hi Range, it will start to lose engine braking, but drop into Low Range and suddenly it's working. 1 trail that I take is scary steep, a guy actually pitch poled a Jeep on it, the Diesel in 4x4 with dif locked, handles it fine. I did modify the clutch for better engagement, though. Possibly, different rollers or weights on the Prowler clutch could make engine braking better? I would not condemn Textron until riding a new one, could actually be better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When deccelerating the engine brake clutches off at 10km/h. Below that speed my atv is freewheeling.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2016 trv showed a 1-way in the parts breakdown yet when i pulled it apart for other repair i noticed there was not one. I put it in while i was there as i do some down hill riding and like to have the engine braking for that vs the free spool and relying on the brakes alone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,
I put a one way clutch in my 2019 Alterra 450 yesterday: the tutorials found here were very usefull, as much as the service manual :)
I like the feeling of the engine braking, the ATV feels much more secure to drive downhill.
When freewheeling downhill, the engine braking switches on at 3km/h in high range, and at less than 1km/h in low range. I don't need even more applying brakes at low speed, so I hope it will help sparing my brake pads :) :)
Only drawback : the ATV is bit more jerky at low speed between acceleration and decceleration, when one wants to keep a constant low speed (about 5 - 10 km/h).
I think, Textron should put a one way clutch in the ATVs at the factory from stock: Textron did it until the recent lineups, but no more in 2018/2019. May be Textron wanted to spare a few bucks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts