Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I went out to my camp to pick up my Cat. After reading some posts about brake caliper issues and other things, I decided to travel the sixty miles into the bush to fetch my 500 Auto and give it a good once over. I've only owned it for a few months and never really gave it a good inspection. It had sat unused in an unheated shed up here in Northwestern Ontario for two and a half months. I had the battery hooked up to a small solar panel so it had a pretty good charge. It was below freezing, maybe 29F when I tried to start it. I cranked it several times and it didn't fire. Then I remembered the carb had a primer. A few pumps on that and she fired up. I then had to adjust the air screw to keep it idling. Once it warmed up, I had to re-adjust the air screw to slow the idle down. So, even though it wasn't cold by our standards, the primer is required to get her running.

I loaded the Cat at camp using some home made ramps. I left them at the camp. When I got home, I knew I'd have to be creative to get the machine off of the truck. Pics below show how I did it. With the clearance the Cat has, I didn't scrape a thing. The Cat crawled up the steps nicely then I very carefully backed it down. No ramp? Use your imagination. Has anyone else had to unload their machine without ramps? Let us know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Was your wife home? Not worthy:

·
Registered
322 Posts
what? no jumping it outta the back??? lol, i've seen a buddy do that with bad results, he got timid at the wrong time and didn't have the velocity to exit the rear... he's alright though

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acquad700 @ Jan 3 2007, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmmm! I wonder how much stuff I could break doing that! :stop_nono:[/b]
Are you talking bones or machine parts? If you have limited clearance, you'd be scraping stuff but wouldn't break anything unless it's "operator error" induced. Either way, it must be done with caution.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eros @ Jan 3 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what? no jumping it outta the back??? lol, i've seen a buddy do that with bad results, he got timid at the wrong time and didn't have the velocity to exit the rear... he's alright though[/b]
Yeah right, if I had another three inches of box length, I'd have a real good head of steam to launch off of the truck. Got to be a little nuts to try to jump it off of a pick-up.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
with the autochoke it should stay idleing without have to raise the idle manualy i would think. as far as unloading i can back off my old trailer with out the ramps and yes i did try to climb on but just sat there and hopped!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've had to back down in a ditch before to get mine out.
JD

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Whats the problem, why not just lift it off the back yourself?? Heck thats how I do it everytime with my cat, 2 tugs and its lands on all 4's on the ground ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nice job and good thinking.
I have had cats on my front porch but never that kind of
a cat.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
i have used dove tailed car trailer once. just backed the cat onto the trailer then backed my truck up to the trailer (the dove tail end) and drove into the truck. a lot easier then my wife thought it would be.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't tried loading or unloading out of the truck without ramps ( I own a set so I use them LOL) but I always load without ramps on 16' trailers. Even with the Foreman I had I put it in 4x4 and use the throttle to climb with the front tires, then about 1/4-1/2 throttle to "hop" the rear tires up on. If the Foreman cleared it, the Cat surely does!!!!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 3 2007, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
with the autochoke it should stay idleing without have to raise the idle manualy i would think.[/b]
Should and does are not the same thing, the choke heats up quicker than the engine does, so the idle drops too early, and things end up stalling at idle... On my H1, I fire it up on the truck before I unload it, then manually idle it up to about 1600 or so so it will stay idling. 5 minutes down the trail, it's idling at 2K or so, then I drop it back to 1400 and it's all good for the rest of the day unless I stop for more than a couple of hours and it cools off again.

I load and unload often without ramps if I have a nice bank to back into... Otherwise, I have a set of 6 foot ramps, they're a tad short, but, I take the tailgate off for loading/unloading, so the angle is no big deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Love the ramp!! I tried and my house but as I have no steps it just toppled over and knocke down my front door!! Looks good in the living room though!!

Just kidding. bang your head

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (82F100SWB @ Jan 5 2007, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 3 2007, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with the autochoke it should stay idling without have to raise the idle manualy i would think.[/b]
Should and does are not the same thing, the choke heats up quicker than the engine does, so the idle drops too early, and things end up stalling at idle... On my H1, I fire it up on the truck before I unload it, then manually idle it up to about 1600 or so so it will stay idling. 5 minutes down the trail, it's idling at 2K or so, then I drop it back to 1400 and it's all good for the rest of the day unless I stop for more than a couple of hours and it cools off again.

I load and unload often without ramps if I have a nice bank to back into... Otherwise, I have a set of 6 foot ramps, they're a tad short, but, I take the tailgate off for loading/unloading, so the angle is no big deal.
[/b][/quote]

You're exactly right. The electric choke is something I can do without. I'll have to look into making a manual set up for it. The choke on my machine will kick in even when the engine is hot. I've stopped the machine for a few minutes, got back on and fired it up and it would rev way too high. Trying to shift into gear with the auto can be tough when it's doing this. The machine doesn't want to go into gear with the higher revs. Maybe it's a safety design. I don't know. I do know that it's a pain in the a**. I'll really appreciate the 500 manual when I get it.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 7 2007, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (82F100SWB @ Jan 5 2007, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 3 2007, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with the autochoke it should stay idling without have to raise the idle manualy i would think.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

You're exactly right. The electric choke is something I can do without. I'll have to look into making a manual set up for it. The choke on my machine will kick in even when the engine is hot. I've stopped the machine for a few minutes, got back on and fired it up and it would rev way too high. Trying to shift into gear with the auto can be tough when it's doing this. The machine doesn't want to go into gear with the higher revs. Maybe it's a safety design. I don't know. I do know that it's a pain in the a**. I'll really appreciate the 500 manual when I get it.
[/b][/quote]

Ditto - I HATE the auto choke, nothing but problems on my bike - Father-in-laws 400 with auto choke seems to work fine though.

Nice thinking to unload the bike Borat!!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
My buddy's 400 is the same, the choke works great on it... I don't get it...
I wonder if the manual choke setup from an older(03 or so) machine could be retrofitted to these newer ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.