Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't get my lights to work on my 72 292(non-electric start) Panther. My multimeter shows between 4-6V at the headlight plug and that it's got a positive ground. Is this correct? Also noticed 2 of the 3 wires for the headlight plug at the hood hinge have power all the time regardless of position of ignition and light switches. Tail lights are inop as well.

Anybody got a good diagram for the non-electric start models? Somebody had hacked the wiring at some point and put in an aftermarket kill switch and bypassed the dimmer switch. It did work 7 years ago when it ran last LOL.

EDIT:
There is a silver metal box mounted near the steering column with a black and yellow wire that is disconnected along with a 90* 2 wire connector with 2 red wires going in. Any idea what either of these 2 do?

·
Registered
663 Posts
The current is ac (alternating current) and should be measured on AC scale and should be 12-15. The silver box regulator should keep it from burning the lights out. Put your meter on AC scale and let us know what you find. Check wiring connections. There should be two yellows coming out of motor. Those are the lighting wires. You can check volts yellow to yellow, and each yellow to the motor block, then to the brown wire. The brown and the motor should be the same thing (ground). Many times only one yellow is used at the plugin. The brown wire is ground.

If one yellow is not good, you could use the other. The regulator wires should be hooked yellow to yellow. And brown to the frame. Your lights go through the ignition switchwhich has to be in LIGHTS position, then the light switch, then dimmer switch. The bulb has to have a good ground.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow didn't realize the sled uses alternating current! My current multimeter is DC only.

I'll have to take a photo of the current rat's nest, err wiring and see if you guys can make sense of it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
72 wiring

Try this diagram. You would be using the OHMS scale to check resistances of the coils. Many times when you have a spinning magnet, you have alternating current AC. It has to be rectified to DC to charge battery.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts