Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 800 mtn cat EFI and it has a newer fuel pump. Now it does not start outside in the cold (4 below) when I am 150 miles away from my house and ready at the trail head! With the EFI is it possible to have a fuel water filter somewhere, or something else that is cold related that does not let me have my fun?? I have been reading the forms on the fuel pumps and I will try the jump start method tomarrow. I do know that I did not smell gas on the spark plugs and it did fire over for about 10 seconds when I manualy put fuel in the cylinders. I have cut out all the cuss words I let out at the trail head ( leading to big powder on a blue sky day). Help please.......ps, the sled does start in the garage just fine, which is where i spend most of my mountain ride time latley.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had this problem once after I took it out of my heated shop, the sled kept on stalling on me so I added isopropal to the tank and it took care of the problem, I added more isopropal to the second tank just to be sure and no more problems...

I think you do have water in your tank, I suggest you thaw it out, completely drain the tank, fill it back up with good gas with isopropal added, run it in your shop for a few minutes to get the good gas in the fuel system and engine before you take it out

If you are going to store it in a heated gradge after every ride I suggest you add isopropal to every tank.

Edit: I did not notice this was your first post, welcome aborad the best Arctic Cat chat site in the world :chug:

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you find that the fuel pump is indeed running. I would try the smart valves which pick up gas in the fuel tank these get dirty sometimes. The way you clean them is just with some good carb cleaner, but you do have to get them out of the tank. I dont know if the 02's have the big filler neck in the gas tank but if it does you can get them out through this. Otherwise you have to pull the fuel pump out of the tank. These will also tend to halod water in them.

Good Luck

·
Registered
524 Posts
When its that cold sometimes you have to crack the throttle open a little bit when pulling the rope

Never had to do that on my CF 700 and it is usually 20 blow celcius sometimes 30 below or colder but I'm at sea level so I guess my engine gets enough oxygen... I can see that having to be done when you are at higher elevations

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick help and the warm welcome. Now that it's Monday and the shop is open, they stated the fuel pump most likley is frozen with just enough water to do this. The fix is to drain the tank ( in to my truck!) and dry the pump. I will be doing a complete overhaul on this new pump and it will be as dry as it was in the box. word to the wise ( as if they need it), before you bring your seld in the garage, fill the tank full and later add some Heat. If this problem happenes on the trailhead, jumpstart the pump and also run it both ways to clear the line. add some Heat and keep it running, the pump itself should not get stuck again. All this advise is from the shop. ps, they said if you don't hear the pump run after a few seconds of jumping it, stop! you might be triing to move a completly frozen/broken pump. I plan on fixing this tomarrow and then going for a long test ride on flat land later. Thank you guys for all your help and I see that one of you is from ER, maybe we can go sledding sometime this year.....Brent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts