Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am going to try to explain this the best I can. My friend has a 2001 ZR440 SnoPro Cross Country. The motor was rebuilt about 500 miles ago and still has good compression....
The problem started happening this season. When the sled is cold (warmed up is all) the clutch engages at about 5,000 rpms and the sled goes like a banshee. After a few miles of warm up, if you then stop and try to take off again, the rpms get up to about 7200 rpms before it starts moving and it has much less acceleration. It will continue this way untill it has sat and cooled down for a while, then repeat.
Towards the end of our 100 mile ride, he said that it was getting "boggy" or in other words he couldn't get the rpms up to normal. He lost about 15 mph.
In the last 500 miles and before this started happening, he has had the engine rebuilt, the exhaust condensor and regulator replaced, and both the carbs rebuilt and cleaned. After all that was done last season the sled ran great.
We put a secondary from a polaris on it (it's all we had) and it was no different. I just got done cleaning the power valves, but they didn't seem overly bad. I suspect the primary might have something to do with it and I was going to swap in a different one if I could find one. My dealer told me today (and I don't understand this at all, and it is different that what I ever thought) that the primary clutch on the arctic cat does not work off centrifical force but that it works off engine horsepower. Meaning that depending on the horsepower, the same primary will engage at different rpms.
So that is were I am at right now. I can't test it out after the power valve cleaning because I am 6 hours from snow, but I have doubts that cleaning the valves fixed it. I suppose he can run it around his yard if he wants. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Your dealer is on crack. All primaries use centrifugal force. H.P. is tuned by the amount of weight that the engine can pull at a certain RPM. I would look for a broken spring or binding when the spring is out. Look for abnormal wear on the weights.

~fast

1 - 4 of 4 Posts