Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a great time rebuilding this snowmachine over the last several months and i'll be completed within the week. now, even though winter is still not here (arrrrgh!) i know that spring will come pretty fast.
I want to do another sled project starting next spring as the price usually drops when the sleding season is nearing it's end. my next sled i want to work on is going to have more power, speed and will be liquid cooled.

any suggestions on what my next sled should be?
gotta be a cat.... maybe one day i'll try something else, but i like the way these sleds look!
want to keep it 1995 and older (cheaper on trail pass!!)
twin cylinder, no tripples as i want to keep the repair cost down
and pretty easy to find used parts like on ebay, etc...

i would love to get a wildcat but any sled with a 600cc engine and up would be fine.
also one that had aftermarket performance parts available like pipes.

please post up on a suitable sled.

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well... i might have another sled to work on over the winter and next summer. i found a machine on Kiji that the owner was selling for parts and worked out a deal to buy the whole sled for $250 delivered!

only problem is... it's not a cat. :(

88 yamaha exciter with a 570L/C engine.
will know more when its delivered on Saturday.

does anyone know of a good help site for this brand of machine?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Snoprosrule,

I saw in a earlier post about this kit...tried to find info on the net and even tried looking up al's # in yellow pages.. no luck.

that would be a cool project... could even update the old 440 with a newer 440 z engine.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I will try to find his # this week and post it! I sold mine when I moved unfinished for 600.00. The only thing left to do was put a 440 lc in it! very sad day!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I hear ya.... sucks when you have to part with a toy.

I see alot of trails around for cheap, even cooler with a 440 liquid. please post # if you find it.

Mike

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the sled was delivered. arrived in my yard around 1pm. here's a few pics.

very nice trailer to deliver stuff!

sled came from up north, Chapleau Ontario west of Timmins. man, must be nice to have snow!!!

sled had a small fire near the crankcase. melted the right side panel as it's completely missing and the plastic cover on the steering stem.... also the breather box is missing.

over all, its in great shape. engine had a stiff spot when i turned it over by hand, i removed the plugs and put oil down both cylinders. after awhile the spot went away! felt like it was ice crushing as i would turn the engine over. i'm sure water being down there did nothing for the crank bearings. will see.

i removed the carbs and will clean them tomorrow. i need to pickup a new recoil rope, new plugs and caps. then repair a little electrical as some wires got melted in the fire. bypass the keyswitch and see if i got spark. if so clean the carbs and put em back on, throw a little mixed gas down both plugs and see if she will fire!

exciting!

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's all fun no matter what the sled is, My good friend has 5 older yammi's in my pole shed and 2 of them are the l/c 540 v-max. we got 1 of the srv's going and he took the best v-max back to his place to put a new harness in it because of the same fire problem.

I bought a 76 tigre earlier this fall and found a 73 in the woods close to home.... found out the 76 was rougher than I thought so I'am going to put the 500 in the 73 and update the driveline , suspension and braking with all my spare parts. need a sleeper for the vintage rides around here... :lol:

Good luck on the project,

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts