Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done alot of searching but only have found bits and pieces about these parts. Will a newer 1000 engine from a 2001-2002 t-cat run with an old style cdi and flatslide carbs? Or would it be easier to use the old round carbs and old cdi with the 1000 engine? I have a nice '99 chassis that needs a 1000 engine combo, and I will have to start from scratch. What combo would work or be the best. Thanks for any help. I love this site!

·
Registered
51 Posts
how depend... , if on your 99 body you have all the wiring harness and switch ,go with 99 cdi and ignition
you need the 99 stator , stator plate and flywheel......
the 99 cdi no cu2545 is one of the best cdi for this triple!!!!!
don,t try to convert old ignition to the newest ,is very complicate and you need all the electrical cables and switch.....
a good advice,stay with 99 ignition.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should clarify the chassis is a zrt 800. I have the harness that goes to the bars, and the hood harness. I do not have anything for ignition. No cdi, no carbs, zilch. That's why I thought I could put in anything starting from scratch? By the way did the '99 have the new 3d ignition box?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Green Thunder is correct- Stick with early 99' or pre-updated 1999 zrt800 ignition. The cu2545 will also work on 98' however, I hate roundslide carbs! Be very careful with the cu2545 cdi, this has very HOT timing curves. DO NOT use a timing key with this cdi unless you have egt's and use premium fuel.

I'm not sure where you live or what elevation/temps you ride in but, if you use the non-tps 99' flatslide carbs and the cu2545 cdi your main jets should not be less than a 400 to start. That's just baseline jetting for 0-2500' @ 0 degrees if I remember correctly. Also, if you gut-out the stock 99' airbox be sure to richen up the mid-range.

P.S. If you get your hands on a set of the non-tps 99' flatslide carbs! Be sure to make your base line carb adjustments before they're installed in the sled/on the motor. Pull those cheap plastic covers off the adjustment screws incase they're stripped or do not work properly, you can always re-install them afterwards to keep the dirt off. Just my 2 cents. I've went thru a similar conversion with the same headaches, have fun!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
3D timing/ign. system uses the 00' & up rack carbs with a T.P.S. The best/easiest way to tell the difference in CDI'S, the 3D CDI will have a step in it's body on top. The 3D CDI'S are also numbered much higher,(instead of cu#2545, you'll find cu#7215<that's a 3D CDI).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey zrt800. Just an update on my motor swap. I ended up using my old '97 zrt 800 engine in the '99 chassis. I used the old cdi and original stator/mag. To get it running the first time I used the old round carbs too. Got it going after some confusion with the kill and key switch positions. They are opposite to run or stop. I guess this is because the ignitions are different after '98. Will a '99 cdi fix the compatibility issuses with the kill/key switches?

I did get a set of rack carbs from a '99 800. They have 350 jets in them. The airbox decal says this is about right for 0-20 F @ 0-1000 ft. You sat I need 400's. Most of my riding is in the UP or upper WI. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...Do Not Use 99' ign. parts with the 97' stator etc...The systems are different in nature. One is a closed loop and the other is a open loop system! 98' & 99' are ok together..95'-97' are ok together! 00'-02' is digital with the use of a TPS.

The 350 mains are after the factory updated CDI, it's not the CU2545 CDI! It's a gutless CDI.

99' flatslide carbs (non-tps) & CDI CU2545. 0 degrees F & 0-2000' elevation..go no less than a 400 main jet.
Matter of fact, I think D&D suggested 460 mains on the same set-up with their trail pipes and V-Force Reeds.
If your motor has V-force reeds you might want to try 410's to be safe.

I'm not sure on the kill switch honestly, I never tried to mix the 2 systems together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts