Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Arctic Cat 900. My first sled. Has the "ratcheting" noise on acceleration and I adjusted the tensioner almost all the way in on the trail. Problem got a little better. Now back home and took the cover off. First problem was no oil in the chaincase. I have the tensioner all the way in and there is still some slack in the chain. I could probably get 3 more turns on the tensioner if there was more thread.

The tensioner seems fine and turns freely. There is a little indent where the bolt pushes against the tensioner. Should I replace the tensioner or maybe the chain needs to be replaced. Teeth seem fine and the chain appears to be fine as well except for lots of metal particles likely from running without oil.

Any advise for the new sled guy? Attaching a pic.

Crankset Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Bicycle part

·
Registered
2018 zr 8000
319 Posts
If it’s ratcheting it’s probably because your track is too loose and the track is slipping on the drive cogs. You’re gonna have to clean the chaincase , you have a bunch of metal filings about adjuster screw. This being your first sled You’re gonna have to do a once over check brake fluid antifreeze and chaincase levels. I don’t know how many miles you put on sled with the chaincase dry. Can’t be good for the chain.

·
Registered
2018 zr 8000
319 Posts
Do a search on here on how to check track tension. I posted 1 link there’s probably more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it’s ratcheting it’s probably because your track is too loose and the track is slipping on the drive cogs. You’re gonna have to clean the chaincase , you have a bunch of metal filings about adjuster screw. This being your first sled You’re gonna have to do a once over check brake fluid antifreeze and chaincase levels. I don’t know how many miles you put on sled with the chaincase dry. Can’t be good for the chain.
Only ran it around for a few minutes since I bought it. Going to clean it out real good and get some oil back in there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 zr 8000
319 Posts
You have to ask yourself where did the oil go. How long was it without oil when previous owner had it. Before you put oil in case loosen off the track and chain in chaincase and see if there’s any play in drive and jack shaft. How many miles on sled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to ask yourself where did the oil go. How long was it without oil when previous owner had it. Before you put oil in case loosen off the track and chain in chaincase and see if there’s any play in drive and jack shaft. How many miles on sled.
1700 miles on the odometer. The sled sat for 4 years according to the prev owner. There was a fair amount of sealant on the gasket when I removed it so wondering if there was a previous leak I will check and see if there is play. The other sled it bought from him had oil in the chaincase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts