Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i decided to sign up and ask for some help! I just got into sledding this year, Bought myself a 93 580 ext Mountain cat to get started and see if I like it. See if you can clear this one up for me. It snowed here a little about 3 weeks ago so i fired up the new to me machine and off I go It ran like a top and i was very happy my house is at about 500 ft. So Yesterday my friend and I ( he has the same sled Identical twin! ) headed up to the local mountains. ( 2000 to about 4500+ ft.). It ran really well for about a half hour then it just bogged out and died on me. I could get it to start but it would not rev over 2 grand would not idle if i held the throttle WFO it would just sputter around 1900 to 2000 rpm. after about 20 mins of tinkering and thinking we were going to have to pack it in for the day . I started pumping the throttle hard while it was bogging and she clared up and ran for the rest of the day with just one more problem just the same. But anytime I would coast for a while you had to pump the gas a few times then it would clean out and run perfect!

So more or less it has to be whiskey throttled to run clean and i have no idea where to start. Does this sound like ignition or fueling???

The sled has twin pipes, i think are D and D and was recently rebuilt. New to sleding but not to engines, I've owned quads 2 and 4 stroke for as long as i can remember and I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade. Help!!!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Richard bang your head bang your head

·
Registered
316 Posts
kinda sounds like the main jet in the carb is too small. try putting larger jet in it. thats my guess if it has carbs, but if it is efi, not a clue :chug:

·
Registered
316 Posts
ooh yea, welcome call :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
your plugs might be fouled out
ooh yea welcome call

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's so far, I should have added:

Yes it is Carbed

Currently running 330 mains, All of my riding will be in the 2000 to 4000 ft. range

Don't know the pilots or needle position right now

·
Registered
515 Posts
It could be that the stator is going bad. It usualy starts this way. It runs good then bogs stalls and sometimes backfires then it sits for a while and starts and runs fairly decent for a while. It can keep doing this for weeks. Eventualy it dies and is dead and won't start again. I may be wrong but my sled had same symptoms as yours when my stator went.

·
Registered
35 Posts
when this bogging thing happens try bumpin the choke to se if it picks up quicker. I had a customer sled that did that same thing and when he would give it choke it would pick up. It ended up being a plugged pilot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the choke and it didn't seem to make any difference at all. I like the stator idea is there any way i can check mine?? Is there a spec (ohm's, output voltage???) I can check for, and where would I check it??

I'm going to take the carbs off tomorrow and give them a good cleaning. Where should the air screws be at? 1 to 1 1/2??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just sent the stator out of my 98 Powder Special off to get redone. I found a guy that will solder in new coils for a reasonable price. It should be back next week. If you figure yours is cooked I get send you the phone number. A new one runs $700-$800. I tested mine with an ohmmeter and couldn't find any shorts but mine would still run. Started out bogging and backfiring, then progressed to the point where it will idle for half a min and quit and backfire. [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts