Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 06 xfire sno pro for xmas and i have a few concerns, the dealer where is was purchaced is not open
until the new year, 1st there is a whinning sound from the diamond drive , 2nd there is a slight bog when you are just ideling around and then you hit the throtle , 3rd when traveling on the trail doing about 25 - 30mph and you hit the throtle it hesitaes slightly picks up speed then around 60 - 70 it feels like the belt is slipping because the rpms are there but the pull is very light

·
Registered
415 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr580 @ Dec 27 2006, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i just got a 06 xfire sno pro for xmas and i have a few concerns, the dealer where is was purchaced is not open
until the new year, 1st there is a whinning sound from the diamond drive , 2nd there is a slight bog when you are just ideling around and then you hit the throtle , 3rd when traveling on the trail doing about 25 - 30mph and you hit the throtle it hesitaes slightly picks up speed then around 60 - 70 it feels like the belt is slipping because the rpms are there but the pull is very light[/b]
I had the same situation last year, but this is how i worked it out.
1) Diamond drive makes the whirring sound on every sled, its a very tight drive system brand new and needs about 500miles to be broken in, the whirring sound will be reduced as miles go on. it kinda sounds like a screw type supercharger but don't worry its normal, the planetary drive setup just needs to be broken in, its nothing harmful. the gear system and clutches are tight from the factory. 2) if the pipe is not warm the sled will have poor throttle response, if the pipe is warm and it still does that its most likely because the first tank has oil in it plus injection oil, which is good for braking in but not great for performance. 3) the tightness is from the belt and diamond drive, once those 2 brake in you will get much better mph. it will take less than 500miles to hit 80ish (maybe 100+ and you will see speed increase) , don't worry but once that 500 or so comes around you should approach 90+ numbers. my xfire (2006) 600 did the same thing, as soon as the miles come on and it breaks in it does much better, around 500 is where i noticed it loosen up a lot. its like a new car, they never do good out of the box until they got a few miles on them. be faithful, it will be worth it. i get around 95mph now with a xfire, not bad for a stock 136'' with 118hp (and lower speed gears than a firecat from the factory!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
First thing you want to check is oil consumption, most of the 06 xfires came really rich from the factory. I believe most everyone on this sight has had to adjust their oil pumps.

·
Registered
514 Posts
First of all, you are a lucky man thats one hell of a x-mas present!!!!! Like the post above it will get better as you get closer to 500 miles. The one thing not mentioned that I was told by my dealer is to vary the rpms and not hold it at a certin rpm for very long, this helps break in the kevlar belt that comes with your sled. I followed my break in to a T and have had 1200 trouble free miles!! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
415 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snopropickle @ Dec 28 2006, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First of all, you are a lucky man thats one hell of a x-mas present!!!!! Like the post above it will get better as you get closer to 500 miles. The one thing not mentioned that I was told by my dealer is to vary the rpms and not hold it at a certin rpm for very long, this helps break in the kevlar belt that comes with your sled. I followed my break in to a T and have had 1200 trouble free miles!! :beer_cheers:[/b]
oops sorry. bang your head have fun riding!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes the DD whines a bit until 500 miles or so.... dont worry, its all good. The whole sled does loosen up...I loosened the track too, the dealers set it too tight in my opinion. (I lost some drive whine once I did that) you can ask your dealer, but I am pretty sure they will say the same things as here.

Yes they all seem to bog a bit...once the Pipe is hot it makes a big difference, but belt deflection makes a bigger difference IMO... Believe it or not, I find if the belt is a little too low in the secondary the machine bogs like a POS, once the belt is broken in and tighened deflection, I found that bog goes away mostly, then the oil ratio almost clears it right up.... that being said, it still in no way is a responsive as my buddies ski-doos... that doesn't matter though when you can still beat them to 90 :) Also the 036 slipped bad for me too, i went with the 044 , tight, and it doesn't slip as much. Still a bit, but not like the 036.... Take that for whats its worth, others have said the 036 works well for them... alot of threads have info on Polaris's IQ belt and the new Ultimax XS801 too... if you try them out, tell us your experience.

cheers, its a great ride once set up perfect. You'll be happy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X-Fire 6 @ Dec 28 2006, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First thing you want to check is oil consumption, most of the 06 xfires came really rich from the factory. I believe most everyone on this sight has had to adjust their oil pumps.[/b]

Yes, my oil consumption is ridiculous!!! About 18 or 19 to 1 !!!

Hopefully my dealer can fix this situation!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i put about 100 miles on the machine now and iam loving it the belt seems to be breaking in and iam getting use to the diamond drive, i came off of a 97 zr 580 and man what a difference in the ride and power is sooooo smooth cant wait to go out next to ride

·
Registered
636 Posts
I kind of enjoyed the DD whine on my first ride today. I haven't checked my oil consumptions yet as i just loaded up and came home but i think the 600's aren't as bad anyway. What an awsome sled. Just need some pow pow to try now. The ice and 3" of fluff today were fun but i need powder.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Oil consumption is DISGRACEFUL. Thursdays ride was 229 miles, and I used 74oz of oil. In comparision my zr8 has twin pipes and lives life on the lean side. Nearly 6000 miles with the oil pump adjusted for 32oz per 200 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts