Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a new 06' Crossfire 7 SP.

I need quick recommendations for clutching needed for 9-11k ft (in a few weeks) !!!

Clutching if I stick with 1.25" ripsaw?

Clutching if I move up to 1.5" ripsaw? (same or different)?

Let me know your experiences....specifically how each parameter of your drive and driven clutch were setup, altitudes ridden, sled/rpm behavior, snow conditions, etc....

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did a trip to Fernie with my CF7 EB and I had the following.
144"x2" track - extensions by Ole's, Polaris Series IV track.
3" riser by Ole's, oh how I wished for at least 4.5" sometimes. ( I am 6'0")
Primary weights of 68gram (stock is 75gram).
Primary spring, stock yellow/white.
Secondary helix, 36degree (stock is 44/40degree). (use new screws if changing #1623-517)
Secondary spring, stock green.
Drive shaft, stock 9tooth drivers.
Diamond Drive - sled decal says 65/55 but the DD is stamped with 60/60. I have not opened it up yet to verify, I will at season end.
Narrowed the ski stance, 42".
Removed the suspension coupler blocks.

Our max alt. was just over 7000'.
My max RPM's were around 8200, a little high for my liking.
Engagement was 4100rpm's and was easy to feather power for slow track speed when getting unstuck.
Nothing but five days of fresh deep powder, putting on only 270 miles and a thousand :D .
The 136"x1.25" ripsaw would have left me stickin to the trails.

Next year I will have a taller riser, and will probably remove the swaybar to make it easier to flip around.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Just my opinion, but if your doing any deep snow I don't think the Ripsaw is your best choice. A 1.5" would work well, just something with a better paddle on it than the ripsaw.

I too have done Fernie, but ran the sled stock at the time with a 1.6" track. Worked fine, but we didn't get much over 6000'.

You may want to get the D&D Shift Assist to help out your backshift.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Mar 27 2007, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just my opinion, but if your doing any deep snow I don't think the Ripsaw is your best choice. A 1.5" would work well, just something with a better paddle on it than the ripsaw.

I too have done Fernie, but ran the sled stock at the time with a 1.6" track. Worked fine, but we didn't get much over 6000'.

You may want to get the D&D Shift Assist to help out your backshift.[/b]
Agreed on the 1.25" comment, this sled may be headed for 1.5" min. I just bought this sled, so no time to swap out now. Besides, it's 'spring' conditions out there now.

However, you'd be surprised at the places a few determined and (somewhat) skilled flatlanders can get in the Snowies, especially when following a good lead boondocker in the group !! I think my 02' ZL 600 EFI SS with 1.25 Ripsaw went went to more places in the Snowies than perhaps any other ZL :beer_cheers: . It's all about the snow texture, the riding group and the rider. Having said that, nothing makes up for power and paddles. :)

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticFamily @ Mar 27 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Mar 27 2007, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may want to get the D&D Shift Assist to help out your backshift.[/b]
Agreed on the 1.25" comment, this sled may be headed for 1.5" min. I just bought this sled, so no time to swap out now. Besides, it's 'spring' conditions out there now.

However, you'd be surprised at the places a few determined and (somewhat) skilled flatlanders can get in the Snowies, especially when following a good lead boondocker in the group !! I think my 02' ZL 600 EFI SS with 1.25 Ripsaw went went to more places in the Snowies than perhaps any other ZL :beer_cheers: . It's all about the snow texture, the riding group and the rider. Having said that, nothing makes up for power and paddles. :)
[/b][/quote]

I agree! My first mountian trip was with a 121 x 1.25 Predator on a ZR 600. Lightened the weights some and ran a different helix. Did just fine follwing the mountain sled guys. When we got to higher elevation I started to have issues getting stuck. I was inexperienced but still had fun. My rider skill has improved much since then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts