Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I bought this last week and I'm excited for the snow. I am replacing my Ski Doo Renegade 600 MX-Z.

I did some research on this new one but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.

Google autofills in some sort of thermostat problem when I type the model in.

Anything else I should check thoroughly? I think my first accessory order is the tunnel case.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
Congrats. Summer purchases always make the wait for snow seem long.

Not sure how many miles are on the machine?
I see the stickers, so it maybe it has some clutching. It is always a good idea to check over the weights, rollers, and springs on the clutches. Doesn't matter if stock or not. You have a lot of time waiting for snow. Check the main stuff like bearings and chaincase. No need to crack the case if it doesn't have crazy high miles. Just check the oil. The chassis is pretty solid. Not really any silly break points. Just verify the rail bolts have been tight.
Did you also get the stock skis? Those are nice flickable machines. You might enjoy running stock skis. Easy to try if you have the skis.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! It has a hair over 1,000 miles. It looks to need nothing. The original owner indicates he has never changed the plugs so I will probably do that at the minimum. Have a good one everyone

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
GregB is spot on. Don't touch it. That engine has been around a long time and they are very well tuned. It has very few weak spots and is about as bullet proof in stock form as they come.

With a 1000 miles on it, I would only lube it, change plugs, and change the chain case lube. That's it. Check the exhaust springs to see if any are missing. If so, replace the missing spring and put some RTV silicone on the springs.

It's pretty much a "gas and go" sled.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
not sure if it still has the cat tri hub, but if so, many DO feel its a part that can be upgraded to a better design, so if a bearing in it goes south, things don;t freeze up!
the 16's and up, got the better bearings, but, its still the tri hub design

Larson racing or J&T seem to be the one's most prefer!

I would also make sure to check the hose clamps on ALL things that have them, MANY seem to have been snug lightly from factory and as heat cycles on hoses, things shrink and harden a little and them become loose then! also some clamps sure seem cheap THIN. narrow one's, where you can also upgrade to a wider one too if one wished !

something I would MAYBE do if mine, is I would pull ski's off, I know my 7000 when I checked the ski's you could really see, it was wearing very funny on carbides, and adjusted for it!
and switched to DuPont slides/hyfaxes!

but nice sled for sure, I hope you get lots of snow this winter to enjoy it!

·
Registered
292 Posts
not sure if it still has the cat tri hub, but if so, many DO feel its a part that can be upgraded to a better design, so if a bearing in it goes south, things don;t freeze up!
the 16's and up, got the better bearings, but, its still the tri hub design

Larson racing or J&T seem to be the one's most prefer!
Looks like it has a 4th wheel kit on it so I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Looks like it has a 4th wheel kit on it so I wouldn't sweat it.
yes but it doesn't;t get rid of the tri hub ??
many never have a issue, I agree, but if one does, the 4th wheel kit alone doesn;t solve the problem of things that can happen(those that has it fail will tell you how bad it can be)

I was ONLY saying what one upgrade could be since the OP asked for them! LOL
not bashing here at all!

·
Registered
292 Posts
yes but it doesn't;t get rid of the tri hub ??
many never have a issue, I agree, but if one does, the 4th wheel kit alone doesn;t solve the problem of things that can happen(those that has it fail will tell you how bad it can be)
The 4th wheel kit prevents the catastrophic failure you’ll see from just a trihub failing. If the trihub fails, the outside wheels still get you home. That’s the reason they’re so popular.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The 4th wheel kit prevents the catastrophic failure you’ll see from just a trihub failing. If the trihub fails, the outside wheels still get you home. That’s the reason they’re so popular.
I maybe wrong, but if the ri hub bearing freezes up , it should STOP the track from spinning, or spinning very freely
so, I don't; think JUST going to a 4th wheel kit stops this from being a possible issue!

a true tri hub replacement set up, gets you 4 wheels and NO drivers like , that the tri hub has?
SO?? its NOT teh same and can still lead to damage!
maybe a LOW odds deal, but things do happen, sledding is a SHORT season and well, many do like to try to eliminate as many possible weak links as possible
and this is why again, many DO go to the tri hub removal set ups!

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
New tri hubs are a whole different animal. Much better bearings and longer life.

I had many of the early version fail. They didn't lock up the bearing and stop the track. In fact, I was able to limp them quite a distance when the bearings failed. I learned early to watch them close and catch them as the bearings started to fail.
Wheels and bearings fail. It is part of life. The newer tri hubs are pretty good. I have three machines that have gone over 7,000 miles on the originals. Adding extra wheels will get you further if a bearing does start to fail.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Favoritos is right on the money. The early Tri-hubs on the '12-'14's were more prone to failure. The later model years have had a good track record unless you are out there abusing them (jumping, hard pounding, etc.).

With that said, I viewed it as an insurance policy, and I've still replaced a few of them on my sleds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
YES I agree the issue was non serviceable bearings on the 12-14's and that was the major flaw in things
' BUT it doesn't change the fact a bearing can fail and seize up, and if one in even a NEW trui hub fails, it CAN I imagine LOCK the track up . just like it did on the earlier one's no??
I mean the design of the tri up, runs off the lugs on the track, so if the tri hub freezes up, things will still happen or should say CAN still happen due to the tri hub design!
just adding wheels to the outside of things, doesn;t change the possible failure of a the tri hub!

I ran my sled with JUST cat a 4th wheel kit, and added the new 2017 tri hubs! as when I ordered my Larson kit, it didn;t show up in time for me to install when I wanted to!

but I did BUY a Larson Racing tri hub replacement kit!(very nice kit too I will say)

MY plan was to replace to the L:arson when the OEM bearings were going bad on the TRI hub, I wasn't scared to run the tri hub and 4th wheel kit either, BUT I also still say, getting rid of it is a better idea! and a even lower possible failure! !

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
no not always

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
SShooterZ
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing