Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything in particular I need to know about these machines? Coming off of a 98' ZL500 carburetor so it's an upgrade for me, I knew that machine inside and so i'd like to get up to speed with the common issues with these ones.

How often do the driveshaft bearings need to be changed on these?

It's lightly used and I feel like I got a great deal on it.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
There’s been two recalls on this sled. 1) gas tank filler neck cracking. 2) extra bracket on steering. You’ll see a big aluminum block on RH spindle under hood. Any Cat dealer can tell you if they’re done by searching your VIN. Both are 100% covered by Cat. Heater hose under centre bulkhead is prone to wear on bulkhead. Pull centre belly pan cover and look at it. They come oil rich from factory but PO could have turned it down. Try and calculate yours on some long runs. I had my Sabercat 600 running at 33:1.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s been two recalls on this sled. 1) gas tank filler neck cracking. 2) extra bracket on steering. You’ll see a big aluminum block on RH spindle under hood. Any Cat dealer can tell you if they’re done by searching your VIN. Both are 100% covered by Cat. Heater hose under centre bulkhead is prone to wear on bulkhead. Pull centre belly pan cover and look at it. They come oil rich from factory but PO could have turned it down. Try and calculate yours on some long runs. I had my Sabercat 600 running at 33:1.
Good info,I appreciate the reply. I will pull the belly pan this weekend.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ask your dealer if they'll still send in your ECU for remapping to the '06 specs. A/C was doing this for free, dealers only charging for the postage. Also, remove the seat and look where the tunnel bends upward, that's an area that gets cracks. A/C has a stiffener kit to rivet in there. Like Catman said check the lower coolant hose. You can take a piece of old hose, cut it lengthwise and wrap & zip tie it around the hose for protection.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Confirmed it does have the steering bracket update but it doesnt have the tunnel support bracket update. The tunnel doesnt appear to be cracked.

I also checked the bulkhead near the sway bar as there is also an update support kit for that I found, no cracks. Should I do that kit?

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I thought issues with tunnel cracks was 03 only. If it’s not cracked now I would t worry about it but that’s up to you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought issues with tunnel cracks was 03 only. If it’s not cracked now I would t worry about it but that’s up to you.
You would know better than I would. I thought I read it was 03-04 and the 05’s shipped with the support bracket installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the lower pan today and the coolent hose was fine, I installed half of another hose over it to prevent rubbing.

what line is this above that coolant line? Mine is dripping slightly.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Sure looks like a hairline crack where it’s dirty

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
The straight seam is what it is, a seam. It's the crooked one that looks like a crack. Not exactly sure what I'm looking at without proper orientation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats on the chaincase side and i’m pretty sure thats the bottom of the chaincase. Theres a small hose above where you can see the drip, I am unable to find out what hose that is on the parts diagram. Does the chaincase have a breather hose that comes from the bottom?

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Can't see it, no breather on chaincase

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I see it now. Is it a rubber hose?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I see it now. Is it a rubber hose?
I want to thank you in advance for helping me with this. Yes, it is a rubber hose. The bigger hose to my understanding is the lower coolant hose that can be known to rub on the bulkhead. I pulled the bellypan to check that coolant hose and seen it was fine but their was fluid dripping on it. The motor was dirty and I cleaned it maybe its residiual? Dont think so because the rest of the area was dry. I dried the area where the drip is and ill check it again for leaks.

Above that on the block where that drip is yes there is a smaller rubber hose thats plugged into there with a clamp on it. I’m wondering what that fluid is, I looked on online diagrams and its hard to find that section of the motor.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I think and I hope it just clicked! Is your sled carbed and if so, that's the impulse line for the fuel pump. It'll be oily because it's tied into crankcase.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
It’s a batteryless efi, I think that may be an impulse line?
Well that theory is shot down. There’s no impulse line on an EFI sled. And I can’t find anything in my service manual.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts