Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 2 blown engines in 4000 miles i dumped the rev and bought an 04 f6 with 30 miles.. and thats correct mileage. i bought it from a friend that lost interest. my questions are

1. the front shock springs are about 1/16th fron the a-arm and are obviously going to hit the a-arm when the spring bounces around. did the dealer put the spacers on the wrong side of the shock at the bottom. mine are in front of the shock.
2. what about the pipes? should i be concerned? are the pipes that the dealers are exchanging with the bad pipes any better or just a new bad pipe? i did read the recall but mine is obviously not bad with 30 miles. is cat replacing them even after the warenty and for how long?
3. i notice a small spot of oil on top of the cylinder on one side. and also some oil drops on the clutch cover and a couple other spots. it is black like from the exhaust. i cant see that the y pipe is leaking or the pipe joint. anyone elso have this going on. should i be concerned?
4. studs? how many and what lenght. the manual says where to put them. do i need tunnel protectors?
THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO A SEASON OF RIDING WITHOUT REPLACING PISTONS OR CARB BOOTS OR RECOILS

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a '04 F6 efi ext with 3000 miles on it and I absolutely love the sled. You will love it i'm sure... by the way it is the quikest of the F6's. The '04's were dialed in just right! I hope I can help you out with a few of your concerns.
#1 I have no issues with the springs rubbing against the a-arms... however dealer set up can suck royally and things can get screwed up... use your best judgement. ( I flipped my springs around on the shocks so that the "wide" end of the spring is on the top side of the shock. From the factory the "wide" end was on the bottom (shock body) end and rubbed the shock body. The '05's had it set up in reverse from the factory, so I made the same change to save the shock body from too much abuse.

#2 I had my original pipe crack wide open at 1200 miles and Cat would not replace it. My warranty was up and they said they had no issues with F6's cracking pipes (allthough the '04 F7's were replaced no problem). I was not impressed at all with this but after the second time my welded pipe cracked again I replaced it with the "amended" part number (Cat obviously knows about the problem when they ammend a part number in their part fische) and it has been fine. The "new" pipe is beed welded on the bad side instead of "press" welded like the originals were... where the cracks might / did occure.

#3 The Y pipe always leeks on all Cat I have owned. The first thing I have always done with my sleds is remove the ypipe and run a beed of red high temp gasket sealer to both sides of the stock metal gasket and you will solve the "ugly black exhaust spray" that always seems to appear and spray on to the jugs and crank caes.

#4 Sorry... no studs on mine... I usually am riding on soft and / or deep conditions here. No real need for studs.

Hope I helped out a little?

Scotty.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catscotty @ Mar 27 2007, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a '04 F6 efi ext with 3000 miles on it and I absolutely love the sled. You will love it i'm sure... by the way it is the quikest of the F6's. The '04's were dialed in just right! I hope I can help you out with a few of your concerns.
#1 I have no issues with the springs rubbing against the a-arms... however dealer set up can suck royally and things can get screwed up... use your best judgement. ( I flipped my springs around on the shocks so that the "wide" end of the spring is on the top side of the shock. From the factory the "wide" end was on the bottom (shock body) end and rubbed the shock body. The '05's had it set up in reverse from the factory, so I made the same change to save the shock body from too much abuse.

#2 I had my original pipe crack wide open at 1200 miles and Cat would not replace it. My warranty was up and they said they had no issues with F6's cracking pipes (allthough the '04 F7's were replaced no problem). I was not impressed at all with this but after the second time my welded pipe cracked again I replaced it with the "amended" part number (Cat obviously knows about the problem when they ammend a part number in their part fische) and it has been fine. The "new" pipe is beed welded on the bad side instead of "press" welded like the originals were... where the cracks might / did occure.

#3 The Y pipe always leeks on all Cat I have owned. The first thing I have always done with my sleds is remove the ypipe and run a beed of red high temp gasket sealer to both sides of the stock metal gasket and you will solve the "ugly black exhaust spray" that always seems to appear and spray on to the jugs and crank caes.

#4 Sorry... no studs on mine... I usually am riding on soft and / or deep conditions here. No real need for studs.

Hope I helped out a little?

Scotty.[/b]

I have one too (not EXT though). It has 3200 trouble free miles on it. I agree with everything Scotty says above. Funny part is that I had to replace the pipe on my F7 at about 1800 miles, which Cat warrantied, but I have not had any problems with my F6.

Althought the F7 is a late build (has most of the 05 fixes) and the F6 is an early build.

I don't have studs either

·
Registered
34 Posts
if u have one inch track
get the extreme max 1.25 studs
it's like a 1.20 in woody's sizing
2 year warranty which i cant believe they do that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can some one check the bushings on the front shocks and tell me if they are in front or back of the bottom shock mount. seems like they should be in the rear. anyone else have any luck with the dealer and getting a new pipe. i am trying to be prepared for problems. maybe i am to paranoid after owning a rev..lol....

·
Registered
102 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northern1 @ Mar 30 2007, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
can some one check the bushings on the front shocks and tell me if they are in front or back of the bottom shock mount. seems like they should be in the rear. anyone else have any luck with the dealer and getting a new pipe. i am trying to be prepared for problems. maybe i am to paranoid after owning a rev..lol....[/b]
just ride it you are worrying to much. the pipe might blow it might not you likely will not get warranty. the oil spray you see is very likely from the exhaust after you run it a bit the donut gasket at the pipe ypipe will likely seal better..run it a bit and or do the sealant thing as mentioned. studs just for average safe riding go with 136 1025s on the once inch track go a bit longer is you are a drag racer and serious about hooking up on ice, you don't need tunnel protectors but don't stud the center or very outside of the track if you look up in the tunnel you will see why.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts