Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forums and new to Arctic Cat. Purchased a 2011 Bearcat Z1 XT in Dec 2012 and I've put about 600 miles on the machine. Most of my travels are off groomed trails in back country but I am enjoying the ride overall. I've had a few issues with the sled but my dealer has been good overall. I've had the solenoid replaced after the machine would not start in the middle of lake in the middle of nowhere. I've also have an issue with the sled backfiring after releasing the throttle at low speeds. This issue only occurs rarely but the dealer mentioned it could be related to the throttle body and we are keeping an eye on the issue to see if it progresses.

I've already planned to purchase skins and a lug kit next year to help both in the soft snow and on the 100s of lakes in the area.

Any pointers, tips, and information will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Scott.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: new to Bearcat

Hey Scott, I have the same sled and am very pleased overall.
Couple things to watch for:
  • Watch your temperature light when riding on hardpack, ice or any time there isn't a fair bit of snow in the tunnel. Your temp light will flash when the engine begins to overheat. It will come on and stay on if the temp continues to rise. The flashing stage is easy to miss.
  • When backing up in deep snow watch that your side panels don't hook a stump or something hidden beneath the snow. It will break the rubber straps and probably one of the hinges at the front of the panel. Happened twice!!!
  • Have a lever hoist or winch and a fairly long piece of rope when in the back country. I have a cheap winch and small battery from Canadian Tire. I have a ring attached to the winch mounting plate so as to tie it to a tree etc. It has gotten me out of a few jams so far.
  • I have the track studded and a set of 8 inch Woodys Doolys up front. This has greatly improved the handling on ice and hardpack.
If I think of anything else I will post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I've purchased ice scratchers to help with the hard pack. Mostly solid ice and snow around the village until I get a few kms in-land. I had a slight rubber smell a few weeks ago as my slides were overheating prior to getting the ice scratchers. Only issue, I've done the beginner thing with the ice scratchers and backed up on them for a few feet. One of them has broken and the other is still standing strong. I put that into the learning experience corner.

I've been tempted to buy a winch or other product but the trees are not very big in the area. I assume I could attach the rope to a larger rock but then again most of them are covered by snow drifts.

After my ski carbides run down, I will purchase dually or something similar to help biting into the ice and hard pack.

Scott.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe on the 2010's there is a recall (heat shield) for the starter solenoid. I had the same problem. Since the heat shield has been installed I've had no issues. I also had the back firing when letting off the throttle, my cables and TPS needed adjustment. Carry a couple spare feul pump relays with you. I've had them freeze up on me. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info also. Fuel pump relays? Fuse type things? I will have to ask the dealer about those. I assume when the solenoid was replaced they also put in a heat shield to prevent the issue. The dealer checked out for the backfiring and could not replicate it. It's an issue I will follow up with if it occurs again.

Cheers,
Scott.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an optional cooling fan available for the Bearcat? I remember reading somewhere that a cooling fan could be added to the machine if needed. Snow is becoming very scarce at a very fast pace and I would like to be able to run for a few more weeks without overheating too bad...

Scott.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: cooling fan

I purchased the fan and rad kit a couple weeks ago and haven't had a chance to install it yet. And with the way the snow is disappearing I probably won't need it until next winter. Oh well, time to break out the quad.

Duane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts