Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done just about as much research as I can to decide on which tire to buy. I'm outfitting an '04 400 4X4 manual tranny. It came stock with 25X8-12 fronts and 25X11-12 rears. I'm going up one size to a 26". After all of my research, this is what I came up with.

Outlaw MST..... Nice tire. Good tread. Solid casing. Heavy.$100 dollar price range (give or take a little)

ITP 589.... Pretty much same as MST, and priced similarly also.

Kenda Executioner....Pretty much same as other two listed, but doesn't seem to have the sidewall/shoulder traction as others. See that it has a good bead/rim protector. The same weight,if not a little lighter, than the others. Price around $20-$30 per tire less than others. Also, comes in a bit smaller than listed height.

I've decided to go with the Executioner 26X10-12 fronts and 26X12-12 rears. I like the other tires but can't seem to find that much of an advantage by paying more for them. They are all very similar in design, and weight, although the true-to-size issue isn't the same with all three. Not a deal breaker to me.

I know that there are lighter weight tires out there, but the prices are higher and from reading many different reviews, the lighter tires just don't seem to last. The weight difference between the "lightweight" tires compared to the "standard" heavier tires isn't all that much. I want something that's gonna be there a while.

Can anyone tell me if I've made the wrong decision? And if so, why?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
IMO the MSTs are a far better tire then the 589s and Executioners, they run true to size (589s and Exs dont) they are lighter, ride smoother and handle better...
only place i would say the Exs work better is in deep mud.
but just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
589s are heavier then msts and mst own 589s in any situation...Msts are awesome i love mine and i hated my 589s with a passion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to find a nice set of used stock wheels for $125. I got my tires mounted up and bolted on. I really like their appearance on my bike. I took it for a spin down my street expecting a rough ride. I don't know what all the complaining is about, but the Executioners don't ride bad at all. I was shocked at how well they did ride. Sure, they're a tad bumpy through first gear, but once I hit second everything smoothed out.They are a tad short, shorter than what I had expected them to be. They're actually about the same size as my stockers, which are 25's. Them being shorter than their listed 26' size doesn't bother me at all since they are a tad heavy. With their mass being smaller, they'll be easier to turn.

So, my first impression of the Executioner is great. Now I've got to see how well they perform in the mud.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Congrats on the new tires, let us know how you like them

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a chance to test my tires out in the mud. The Executioners dig! I went through some holes that I easily got stuck in with the stock tires, and my bike never checked up. I went through a couple of holes that I wouldn't even consider going through before, and it never checked up. I was affraid that them being more heavy, and more aggresive, was going to hamper the performance of my bike. Well, nothing changed. These tires run just as good as the stocks. So, to sum it up, I'm very pleased with the Kendas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice tire review, Best executioner review I've ever read. I always thought they would ride real rough on hard pack. I'm wondering how well they wear. I've seen a few 2wd atvs withem on the rear and they went like crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts