Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up my new sled last night, 98 Thundercat. Only has 2600 miles on it and is in pretty good shape. Has 135 psi in each jug, no cracks in the hood or rips in the seat, shocks all good, water pump not leaking(YET!), and all stock motor. The bad is it hasnt ran in 5 yrs, looks like someone hit a rock with the belly pan but it doesnt look like it bent the bulkhead. I'm going to go through the carbs, replace all the fuel lines, and clean out the tank and hopefully she'll fire up! I attached a few photos of her, let me know if you guys have any other recommendations on it. The little drop of coolant is on my lift from when I did my water pump on my old ZRT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well I picked up my new sled last night, 98 Thundercat. Only has 2600 miles on it and is in pretty good shape. Has 135 psi in each jug, no cracks in the hood or rips in the seat, shocks all good, water pump not leaking(YET!), and all stock motor. The bad is it hasnt ran in 5 yrs, looks like someone hit a rock with the belly pan but it doesnt look like it bent the bulkhead. I'm going to go through the carbs, replace all the fuel lines, and clean out the tank and hopefully she'll fire up! I attached a few photos of her, let me know if you guys have any other recommendations on it. The little drop of coolant is on my lift from when I did my water pump on my old ZRT.
Hard to tell from the picture...picture number 5, looks like the front cooler has som stud rub marks on it, I see some rivots popped at the bottom too, make sure that cooler is sitting flush and secure, and clearance is acceptable and track tension monitored. Just thinking out loud....Cat happy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah there is some stud wear on the fins of the exhanger. What is there supposed to be for clearance between that and the studs? I think I can almost fit my hand between there. On another note, do you think I should try and bend that aluminum back or is that going to cause more damage, like break it off!?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah there is some stud wear on the fins of the exhanger. What is there supposed to be for clearance between that and the studs? I think I can almost fit my hand between there. On another note, do you think I should try and bend that aluminum back or is that going to cause more damage, like break it off!?
If you can get your hand in between cooler and studs, I PERSONALLY would be good with that for sure. As you know, keep track in specs(can't say that enough lol) Man I don't know, IF it were my sled, I would want that cooler flush and secure as its supposed to be, I won't tell you either way to bend or not. Perhaps be on the hunt for one to have in case you try to bend it(off season attempt?) and things go south, or just replace it, smell what I'm shoveling there. Hate to see something snag it and get into your pocket deep ya know?!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that a piece of wood?
HAHAHA, no that is the heat exchanger, its a little discolored!! It does look like a piece of wood though!!:lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got the carbs cleaned and everything back together and now I cant get it to suck from the tank. Whats the best way to get it to start pumping? I put fuel in the cylinders to create a vacuum but it wont suck out of the tank. Tank is half full, I tried putting fuel down the fuel filgter and starting it abd iu can see it sucking the fuel out of the filter so I know the pump isnt plugged. I dont know what else to try!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Take off the gas cap, open the fuel valve, unhook the supply line to the fuel pump. cup a rag and a blowgun into the gas cap opening and blow a little air into the tank till it flows out of the line then. Hook it back up to the fuel pump, dribble some fuel into each cylinder and pull a few times till it fires

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried that and it didnt go through the line, I could feel the tank expand but it wouldnt flow. Should I plug the vent tube and try it again?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Does fuel flow out of the line? If not, then your pickup screen is plugged or the valve is bad

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Hey, nice sled man. If it where me,....I'd take the front heat exchanger out and toss it as far as I could. Get one off eBay for cheap. I pd. $20.00 to my door for a few. If your in a hurry they go for around $50.00 or less.
Check the pulse line that connects to the base of the engine for cracks. If its not sealed well it will leak vacuum and not allow the fuel pump to work correctly. I always zip tie mine. Better than a clamp.
There may be a chance the line from the shut off to the in tank filter has a hole or cracked from the wonderful fuel additives of today. Check that too, and the filter as stated earlier.
Don't ever blow the tank with any air unless the lines are disconnected as stated earlier. You will risk the chance of wrecking the fuel pump diaphragm inside the pump. Ask me how I know. Auggie said not to do this too, and by that time, it was too late.
Congratulations, Very nice sled. I always wanted a 98. Most HP, One of the nicest looking IMHO. The KING of sleds. Long live the T-cat!!

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
On the exhaust can you can open the closed pipe with a screw driver and insert a socket and tap the pipe all the way around the socket. Keep working it up to the size you need to match the other ones. It will come out looking just like the good ones. I have done this on a few sleds I've worked on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it going yesterday morning finally! I went and got one of those ketchup bottles with the small tip and filled that with mixed gas. Put gas down every line and into the bowls of the carbs. Put some in the cyl and she fired up and started pumping! I had replaced all the old fuel lines with new and in the tank as well.

With the can I actually cut about an inch off the tip and then pried it open, I cut the other 2 off about an inch as well so they all matched.

I took it out yesterday and rode it around for while and wow does she rip! Put some seafoam in the tank so I wanted to get that through the carbs as well. No antifreeze leaks so thats good! I was going to replace the front exchanger this summer when I do the AGLT mod. Do you have to pull the motor to replace the exchanger? I need to get a front boogey wheel and no AC dealer in cities has one! So I just ordered one off ebay. So far I love the sled, hopefully I get to put some miles on her before the snows gone!

·
Registered
10,301 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perfect! Just pull the seat to get at the hose connection?

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I managed to unscrew the clams holding the hoses and put some channel locks on and twisted the hose to break it loose. (Be careful not to cut into the hose with the channel locks.) Then drill out rivets and pull the exchanger out and install new one with (steel) rivets.

You will have to take skid and chain case off along with the drive shaft to get to all of it though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would like to find a factory AC cover for it if anyone has one laying around, I dont like the cheap plastic nylon ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts