Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new sled. I have a 2000 Thundercat with a freshly blown motor and am looking at a M8. Just wondering if there is a big difference between the M8 and M7. Or is it stupid to not buy the M1000. I want the power but dont want the problems.( yes I am a little bitter).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wonder if they are underpowered. I have also heard that if you pipe a 700 they put out better than a 800. It is just hard to decide.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would buy a leftover M7 and use the money I saved to buy performance parts to make it equal to or better than an M8

·
Registered
249 Posts
The M7's are hurting on torque. The M8 has much better torque. They will definitely be a downsize from the
power of a T-Cat If money is'nt a big issue then go for the M1000 Talk about a torque monster.
No matter which way you go, there is some clutching and venting that you should do to get the most out of
the engine and clutches on these sleds.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The M7 are awesomes sleds but if you can, the 800 and 1000 are extremely torquy!!!!!!....Ask the mountain guys if they had a chance to drive the new sleds and compare....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
everyone I talk to has not put enough miles on to see what they think. the only guy I know with a m7 has nos on it. Please help............

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a new m8 and have not had any problems with it other than the clutching is way off, just change the weights and it will hold its own with the 900 up to seventy. Ride on. Rockerdude

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, here's my 2 cents. I think arctic cat went in the wrong direction when they added wieght to their sleds for '07. Weight makes a big difference in my book. I would definately take my M7 over an M8 any day of the week because it's 20lbs lighter straight from the factory. I don't think 2hp and some bottom end torque could make up for that 20lb weight increase.

The M1000 is 40lbs heavier than the M7 from the factory. Thats like riding a Yamaha Apex over a ZR 900. 40lbs is huge if your into any kind of aggressive riding. The extra power might be worth it though if that's what you're in it for. My M7 ditch-bangs better than my ZR 800 did. I'm so impressed. It's so nimble and quick and more capable. I've got my M7's dry weight to just over 460lbs, and i'm plannin on making it lose another 10-15lbs or so. Riding a lightweight sled is the ticket.

I suppose any route you go, you're gonna be way lighter than that thundercat. My M7 has a better power to weight ratio than a stock M1000. I may have no chance in a race, but I'd rather ride my 460lb sled over any 515lb(give or take) sled.

Last year I drove a ZR 800 that weighed a little under 500lbs and was given a chance to ride an Apex RTX which weighs just under 550. The difference in handling was undeniable. It takes so much more effort to get a heavy sled to do what you want it too. You can ride a light sled all day and be way less fatigued than if you were riding a heavy sled.

My 2 cents is that lighter is better and an M7 is probably the best bang for the buck unless you have to have reverse. An M7 must be close to 80lbs lighter than a Thundercat with about the same power-to-weight ratio. That'll be a culture shock in my book. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
88 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (duluth141m7 @ Jan 6 2007, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, here's my 2 cents. I think arctic cat went in the wrong direction when they added wieght to their sleds for '07. Weight makes a big difference in my book. I would definately take my M7 over an M8 any day of the week because it's 20lbs lighter straight from the factory. I don't think 2hp and some bottom end torque could make up for that 20lb weight increase.

The M1000 is 40lbs heavier than the M7 from the factory. Thats like riding a Yamaha Apex over a ZR 900. 40lbs is huge if your into any kind of aggressive riding. The extra power might be worth it though if that's what you're in it for. My M7 ditch-bangs better than my ZR 800 did. I'm so impressed. It's so nimble and quick and more capable. I've got my M7's dry weight to just over 460lbs, and i'm plannin on making it lose another 10-15lbs or so. Riding a lightweight sled is the ticket.

I suppose any route you go, you're gonna be way lighter than that thundercat. My M7 has a better power to weight ratio than a stock M1000. I may have no chance in a race, but I'd rather ride my 460lb sled over any 515lb(give or take) sled.

Last year I drove a ZR 800 that weighed a little under 500lbs and was given a chance to ride an Apex RTX which weighs just under 550. The difference in handling was undeniable. It takes so much more effort to get a heavy sled to do what you want it too. You can ride a light sled all day and be way less fatigued than if you were riding a heavy sled.

My 2 cents is that lighter is better and an M7 is probably the best bang for the buck unless you have to have reverse. An M7 must be close to 80lbs lighter than a Thundercat with about the same power-to-weight ratio. That'll be a culture shock in my book. Good luck with your decision![/b]
I agree with everything said. It should be a "Man Law". I was in the same boat but had my choices down to a Summit or the M-7. I chose the M-7 for the reliability. I opted for the 162" EFI. This is my first Cat. I'm getting older and am sick of beating myself to death manhandling heavy sleds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I handed down my f7 snopro extended to 153 x 2.25 to my girlfriend and bought a m1000 162.
Yes I was worried that the weight diff would be an issue, but after 300+ miles I have no regrets. In fact I am just ecstatic about the performance increase. The M is not as nimble as the firecat of course, but by narrowing up the ski stance and installing a 2 wheel kit in the back, this machine handles beatifully and with that kind of power and especially the torque it absolutely Stomps.

I realize I am not I am not exactly comparing apples to apples here but I have Zero regrets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went from a king cat to an 05 M7 162, Never even ridden am M before I made the trade. I have a buddy I ride with that has a 07 M8. We rode last weekend and swapped sleds a while, after he made the comment if he had it to do over again he would he would take the leftover M7 over the M8 because it feels much lighter in the front than his 8 did. And I wouldnt take my King cat back for anything now that I have the M7!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I made the exact same switch, went from a 2000 1000mc with 'round 200hp & tons of issues to a new m, after riding a m7 & m8 same day, no contest. I got the m8. I climb, boondock, & jump. I love the m8, the 7 felt like it needed mods to be fun for me, whereas with the 8 I'm ok till I see what's working well mid-season (& I LOVE the reverse, you climb something stupid, coming down you toss it in reverse & it will slow you to a crawl on even the nastiest descent!)

after the power of the t-cat It's tough to switch to a softer machine, but you'll be WAY happy with the switch.

btw, anybody want to buy a t-cat mtn!?! lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a 05 M7 153 and just got a 07 M8 153 new one has a lot more torque and really arm pulling now that I figured ot the clutching; Would not trade back to a M7. Don't get me wrong loved my M7 but missed all the torque from my 01 800mc. Cat happy Cat happy

·
Registered
795 Posts
I played the past 3 days in deep deep powder in the mountains around McBride.
I took my new M1000 on NOS, and we had two M7's and two M8's in our group alone.
Along with many other sleds.
Personally As a guy that already owns two M7 s myself and my new M1000, I think the best sled is still the M7.
My M7 with just a pipe and can, will eat an M8, and stay right with a stom M1000.
If i turn my bottle on it will out pull and M8 or M1000 by a HUGE margin.
My m1000 on NOS, just stays with the M7 on NOS.
I am going to sell my M1000 and buy another M7 I think.
One of my M7 is not running right now as its apart for the turbo install.
I can barely wait for it to hit the snow.
Anyone in BC selling a good, low mileage M7 with 162 track can contact me with details and price please.
Or will trade My new M1000 for it and some cash.
The M1000 has some mods already and the NOS i can leave or take off as you desire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All this is great to hear! I just went from a 4-stroker Yamaha to a '06 M7-153 for the type riding we do. It's all powder and boondocking out here in the Cascades and the Yammis are just not the right sled as heavy as they are. My new M7 will be ready Wednesday and I can't wait! I have a new post up called "New to forum and M7" and would love to hear from you M7 owners on some good mods! Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
160 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for in a sled. Here is my take:

M7 - very light, great boondocker, underpowered. 800 top end with twins and clutching and it rips. One of the most fun sleds I have rode. One of the worst sleds to tune, with a boondocker box.

M8 - light, and a great boondocker. plenty of power with small bolt ons and reliable. Clutching helps it quite a bit. If you aren't power hungry this sled would be my choice.

M1000 - heavy on the front end, plenty of grunt. very capable sled with small bolt ons. The most fun sled I have ever been on. Out of the box it didn't dazzle me but after a little work nothing in it's class will run with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts