Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just got my first manual four wheeler and its a 2006 dvx 400 ts edition. im wondering if its a durable bike and good for a non experienced clutch rider. i have had 3 years experience on my polaris 500 automatic so i know how to ride, but i was curious of what you guys thought of it. im 14 and wiegh about 135. also wondering if 3600 was too much for it. any help appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would say 3600 was a little too much unless its super clean. But it should be pretty reliable. It's the same thing as an ltz 400 or a kfx 400. Not a race motor so the clutch should be pretty easy. Just don't ride the clutch. Good luck

2009 550 H1 EFI (mine)
28" mega mayhems
Black stock wheels
snorkled
Racked rad
///airdam clutch kit
hid high beams
sealed actuator
no spark arestor

2006 400 manual(dads)
bone stock runnin strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DvxRider0911

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know he upgraded some things on the bike and it was taken great care of. I'm not sure what exactly he upgraded on it but it has new shocks and a new muffler. Any other helpful information that u think I should have? Thanks again

·
Registered
261 Posts
Keep up on maintenance. You won't regret it. Oil chain before every ride, change oil every... 15? Hours, and running 93 octane doesn't hurt.

2009 550 H1 EFI (mine)
28" mega mayhems
Black stock wheels
snorkled
Racked rad
///airdam clutch kit
hid high beams
sealed actuator
no spark arestor

2006 400 manual(dads)
bone stock runnin strong

Reactions: DvxRider0911

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do man. Also, do u know any reasonably priced aftermarket parts that would increase the potential in the bike. Like acceleration top speed. Speaking of that, do u know what the 400 tops out at?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't know what they top out at, but it's probly around 60. An exhaust and a uni air filter should pep it up a bit

2009 550 H1 EFI (mine)
28" mega mayhems
Black stock wheels
snorkled
Racked rad
///airdam clutch kit
hid high beams
sealed actuator
no spark arestor

2006 400 manual(dads)
bone stock runnin strong

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
Will do man. Also, do u know any reasonably priced aftermarket parts that would increase the potential in the bike. Like acceleration top speed. Speaking of that, do u know what the 400 tops out at?

about 60. HMF or Yoshi full exhast systems, slips do nothing but make noise. Also opening up the air box helps out too.

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
I would say 3600 was a little too much unless its super clean. But it should be pretty reliable. It's the same thing as an ltz 400 or a kfx 400. Not a race motor so the clutch should be pretty easy. Just don't ride the clutch. Good luck

2009 550 H1 EFI (mine)
28" mega mayhems
Black stock wheels
snorkled
Racked rad
///airdam clutch kit
hid high beams
sealed actuator
no spark arestor

2006 400 manual(dads)
bone stock runnin strong

I found 3 brand new cat DVX400s for 4999 a week after I bought my 2013 zuki. I was mad because I do not like the place I bought my atv from.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. If you are looking to have a really fun and reliable quad, then you picked a winner. Bad news is you really over paid quite a bit for that quad. I have a 2006 DVX 400 that I've rebuild from the ground up and is loaded with a ton of aftermarket parts and upgrades. I have tossed around the idea of selling it due to lack of riding and I'm only asking $4,000 for it. I'm sure I am a tad biased, but mine is probably one of the nicest 2006's around. Both Cat is King and Greg have pointed you in the right direction with advice/suggestions. Maintenance wise, overkill is better than neglect IMO. I know some people look at them as ATVs and treat them as such. I personally believe is treating it as a well oiled machine and reaping the benefits from the added wrench time. I baby mine and it's never let me down or left me stranded anywhere. Always oil your chain like Cat said, and as a matter of fact look into a good O-ring chain which will help hold those oils in during the duration of your ride. Some guys change their oil after every ride, some don't. I personally change mine after every 3 ride, filter after every 6. However, I don't abuse mine or drive it through deep mud/water. If you are going to, then I suggest being more liberal with your oil changes.

Upgrades are very user specific based on what your likes/dislikes are. If you are into trail riding as I am, I would suggest a good set of tires. I run ITP HD's which are a 6-ply tire. Some guys don't like them as they are slightly heavier, but I prefer the durability. I have that philosophy where if something is going to fail you it's going to do so in the most inconvenient location at the worst time, not in your driveway. So I probably tend to go over board, but would rather be safe than sorry. Skid plates are worth their weight in gold to avoid damage to things like chains, sprockets, frames, etc. If your riding locations are really rough, look into a steering stabilizer. I know you said you're not the biggest guy, so a quality stabilizer could really help relieve you of fatigue in your upper body. A good set of nerf bars will be a good investment. Performance wise, build for what your intentions are. If you want to make it some high end race bike, then sell it and buy a 450. If you want basic upgrade-able performance, then get a full exhaust like Greg said. Slip ons are nothing more than those honda civics with the loud fart tubes on the back. They make the bike sound obnoxious, not faster. I run Yoshimura on mine, but there are several good brands. If you're going to run a full exhaust then I'd advise you run a better filter. A lot of guys run either K&N or UNI, I run a UNI as my research steered me away from K&Ns. Now if you are gonna be sucking more air in and getting rid of more air via the exhaust, you need to rejet that quad or it's going to run like crap. You'll need to either buy a jet kit or really do your homework to figure out what jet you need based on your upgrades and elevation where you live. A lot of guys will dive into their engines and replace valves, and cams, and big bore kits, etc. IMO unless you are racing that thing and have the time and money to repair it leave that engine alone. It's made pretty much perfect and for general riding purposes is the way it should be but to each his own.

I could go on all day with suggestions and what not, but you really need to put in the time on the internet researching and reading threads. Pick an area that you want to focus your time and funds on and research research research until you have enough knowledge to make a decision. Suzuki Central is a great place to look into as the membership numbers are a lot higher then on here and nothing against this site, but you'll find a ton more information over there. Here is a pic of my DVX which I've switched over to a full LTZ, as you can see the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
PRM makes it. I bought it used on ebay, but you can but it new from them. Of course I had mine powder coated to match the frame. They are called 6-pack racks as they are designed to hold a 6-pack cooler. Mine actually holds a 1 gallon gas can on each side as well as the 6-pack cooler. Here is the link to PRM's 6-pack rack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts