Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question, What if you where in charge of new product development at Cat? What Ideas or changes would you want to incorporated into the next generation of Arctic Cat ATVs?

I will start, here are some random thoughts I have had.

1. Better brakes, there is absolutely no excuse for poor performing brakes on a quad.
I would want a rear wet brake in the diff, and split front and rear levers. The brakes must work great the first time, every time, PERIOD!

2. More EFI models, especially the H1 motor.

3. Power assisted steering as an option.

4. Unlocking rear end for the TRV and TBX.

5. Better shocks as an option. (how about Fox floats with a built in compressor to allow instant ride height changes)

6. New models I would want are.....

The 400 needs to be redesigned from the ground up. The 400 is generally used as a entry level machine. To me, that by definition means the riders will be, less experienced, younger, smaller, possibly female, or even seniors. The chassis needs to be much smaller and lighter than the large machines with less ground clearance for a more stable, easier to ride feel. I would also want the new Suzuki 450 EFI for an engine. Power assisted steering should be an option.

I would keep the 500 for a entry level machine for riders wanting the full size chassis. Possibly bump it to 550cc and add EFI.

I would dump the 700 EFI Suzuki motor in favor of an EFI H1, and a all new Arctic Cat Designed and built 750 twin. Rockerdude

I would like to see a trail special package offered on the large machines. It would have things like, upgraded tuned shocks, lowered ride height, sway bar, better tires (25" Bighorns?), and power assisted steering.

Or how about an off trail special, with things like, lowered gearing, gorilla axels, upgraded tuned shocks, better tires (26" XTR's?), power assisted steering, and snorks.

Well those are some of my crazy idea's what are yours?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Those are good ideas but there gonna cost alot of $$$, and not every consumer is willing to pay for these options. EFI in the 650 h1 would be great :super_happy: I would love to see a prowler in bright orange, with efi that would do 65mph humper

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zitterich246 @ Apr 20 2007, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Those are good ideas but there gonna cost alot of $$$, and not every consumer is willing to pay for these options.[/b]
I understand that, a lot of things could be dealer installed options, for only those who really want them.

Hey I'm just dreaming, lets throw the idea's out there, just don't expect them all to stick.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like the idea of an unlocking rear diff and maybe a 550, although I'm still not sure on the EFI. On the rest of it though, I believe I'd have to respectfully disagree. For utility, the one brake lever is great, and as far as brake operation, I've never had a problem on my '06, even the rear pedal works very well. Maybe mine was set up right at the dealership? I absolutely do NOT like the idea of power steering, I've not seen the need for it, seems like a pointless extra that'll end up being standard and costing me more for my next ATV. Mine gets used for work at least as much, if not more, than play, so this is just my uneducated, primarily utilitarian, opinion.
JD

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I too like the hand braking setup quite a bit. I would like to see them include a voltmeter and water temp gauge built into their digital pod. Those are two very important gauges IMO.

I would also have a "stock" kind of Cat that people can buy on the showroom floor, and then have a "built to order" Cat that you can get so that you can pick features you want and are willing to pay for (ie...Gorilla axles, clutch kit, bed liner coated racks, etc...).

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
How about a designated place to attach the license plate to. How much can that cost? I've had to drill holes on the plate that has Arctic Cat painted on it on the back rack. I'd also like to see the front brake lever on the right front just like a motorcycle. The one on the left can stay as well. I wouldn't touch the 500 cc engine. If one wants more power, buy bigger. The 500 is a proven reliable work horse that has respectable power. I'd leave well enough alone. I'd like to see better protection for the CV joints. The el-cheapo plastic stick stoppers might deflect a stiff piece of straw or a twig but anything bigger will just bend the plastic back. A larger storage compartment up front would be an asset as would a place to attach a GPS. How about including the mounting bracket for the mirror? Better yet, include the mirror. My old Suzuki had a manually engaged "cruise control" that was a real nice feature. It was inexpensive, simple to install and very useful. It was a simple lever with a cam that actuated the throttle lever. It was set fairly tight to hold the throttle in a desired position. That would be nice as well. As far as new machines go, a 750 twin would be nice. That's for sure. Make it a fuel efficient, screaming two stroke. Simple, light and very powerful (maybe from the snow machine line up). Something to bomb the Bombs. Yeah baby!!!

I like Sanny's suggestion. Start each line with a base model and build your machine from there. I'm certain there would be a cost associated with the plan but, I know I'd pay a bit more to have what I want in a machine rather than having to pay a lot more for an assortment of other features I don't want. If Cat were smart, they'd get on this before Polaris or the other manufacturers do.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Only a few things i would like to change on the cats.

1. 1.5 to 2in narrower

2. 2 to 3 inc lower seat height

3. Plastics that dont crack.

4. EFI on the 500 and up models

5. 750 vtwin!

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I would like to see a "mudder's" package made available. maybe, some taller, more aggressive tires, and snorkels. while i like the idea of an EFI H1, but i (personally) don't have a need for EFI. My dealer did mention that cat was working on a 450efi to replace the 400.

i also like the the a la'carte proccess of ordering a cat.

why can't cat put a brake on the other rear wheel?

·
Registered
934 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnCataTac @ Apr 20 2007, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
4. Unlocking rear end for the TRV and TBX.[/b]

I'd like to see this on all of the 4x4 machines.

Electronic shift between:

limited slip rear <-> locked rear

no front drive <-> limited slip front <-> locked front.

I'm not really allowed on the lawn with the ATV due to it digging the hell out of the lawn each time I have to turn (I end up doing a 50 point turn so I dont make a mess of the grass). Opening the rear diff would make these machines more versitile around the house and other locations with grounds that cant be ripped up. It would also make riding on asphalt and pavement much easier on tires, not to mention make these beasts turn easier on the road and trail. When you need the extra traction, its only a toggle switch away.

I'd like to see a rack coating that isnt going to scratch off the second that you touch it.

Apply the current textured finish that is on the rear fenders of the newer Cats to the edges of the fenders (where the reflector stickers are) and under the racks (straps and cargo destroy the finish in minutes). $10K and five minutes down a trail full of trees and it looks like you took sand paper to the bike. I understand that making the fenders of harder plastic will stop the scratching, but they will crack easier too.

The bikes (all of the full size ones) need an improved air intake system. I dont mean to snorkle them, but move the intake back toward the rider. Personally, Id use the space where the little glove box is and put the intake there, it is the highest point on the machine other than the bars. This would open up tons of space for a large storage compartment under the front rack. This would be easiy to get at too (hinge the front of the rack at its current mounting locations and have it open like the hood of a Corvette. then have the storage compartment open underneath, like it currently does, just larger, with a water-proof seal and under the rack). Now that I think about it, this is a damn good idea. Cat you had better be listening... :beer_cheers: The current system is junk, I'm not a mudder or big water guy by any means. It's just rediculous when you cant go through 3 inches of water at more than 10-15mph without getting water into the airbox. I've done this before, there wasnt even enough splash to get me wet, yet it gets its way into the intake. :Bangin:

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
I would like to see a 600 2 stroke that smokes the pants off that 800 ski-drool, just kidding ( utility quads dont need to go that fast anyway), that 800 thingy goes way too fast anyway) And 1 other thing, an adjustable ride height, ( no really, I'm not kidding) If a Cat quad could handle on rails like the ZR sled does, The quads should too, but.....they have way too much ground clearance to handle great (they handle pretty good anyway) But if you could raise your quad for extra ground clearance on demand, that would be something, and lower it for trail riding.....hmmmm.........

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
ive been preying to the cat gods Not worthy: they produce a 750-800cc vtwin carb or injected doesnt matter to me.
more storage would be nice.
progressive shock springs would be nice.
i think a limited slip would be a problem for mudders blowing diffs,clutches etc.
a third light would be nice up on the pod,like the king quad has.
urithane suspention bushings.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
also, i think it would be a really goor idea for cat to give customers a TC Arms, Encore .50 muzzle loader with rifle barrel chambered for .300 WSM.

sounds good to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
id like to see a 600 dvx and i also agree that they need more storage. Its pretty bad only one place can hold stuff on my 500 and i can only fit like 1 pair of gloves in there

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MRMREZG @ Apr 21 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
also, i think it would be a really goor idea for cat to give customers a TC Arms, Encore .50 muzzle loader with rifle barrel chambered for .300 WSM.

sounds good to me.[/b]
I like the way this guy thinks. Not worthy: or a .300 Whisper. :thumbsup:
JD

·
Registered
231 Posts
One of the biggest reasons I bought my Cat was of the fact it did not have much for electronics. Do we really need efi and all the electronics that are on a new machine. IMO electronics are just more to go wrong and more places for water and mud to get into.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
1. The idea posted above about an un-lockable rear diff is definitely a great idea. The entire industry is engaged with the 'Tread Lightly' program... Yet at the same time they don't offer ATVs that can actually tread lightly???

A locked rear end means you can't turn (short radius) without ripping up the surface. Short radius turns means there is no way we can tread lightly because there is no choice due to the way the manufacturer builds them.

ATV mower deck sales might go up if ATVs didn't rip up the turf so easily. :lol:

2. I would like to see true SpeedRack racks.

I would like to just pull or insert a couple of pins to be able to remove or mount the racks on/off the ATV. No tools, design fenders that don't need to hang off the racks. It can be done right, manufacturers have the resources to implement this idea. It's not rocket science... But you can't find it on the showroom floor.

3. Need better front inner wheel-well liners.

I built a square duct from the rad out to the front of the ATV just behind the grill, and also front wheel well liners. You wouldn't believe how much of a difference it makes when you prevent your own tires from caking mud all over your rad. Since I did this mod, the rad stays so much cleaner, engine runs cooler, fan turns on a lot less.

I made the plastic duct & wheel well liners it out of Krazy Karpet, thin sheets of HDPE, looks great. But manufacturers have the resources to build a much better version.

4. The winch mount plate could be 'quick-removable', no tools.

Or maybe two locking pins at the top of the winch plate and hinges at the bottom. This would allow quick & easy access to clean the lower half of the rad when needed.

I would prefer to have a quick-removable winch mounting plate, because there are a few times when I know I won't need the winch... I would just take it off and leave it at home. Marine grade 2 pole quick-disconnect plug & socket for the winch cables would be needed too.

5. Narrow seat up front for when you have to drive standing.

A narrow size/shape at the front of the seat and body plastic immediatley behind the handle bars (storage compartment) should be as narrow as possible. Make the seat wide at the back for sitting, but don't forget about keeping the front area narrow for stand-up needs.

Arctic Cat engineers have recently been implementing this feature on some of the latest snowmobile models (CrossFire, F-Series). ATVers want it too!!! Well, some of us anyway. :lol:

The SpeedRack concept of quick & tool-less adding or removing of accessories is a great idea. Why not advance that concept a bit and use it on the winch & racks too. It would be so easy for a manufacturer compared to us doing one-offs. Arctic Cat would be the first in the market to offer such a feature, just like they were with the SpeedRack accessories.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimscat @ Apr 22 2007, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One of the biggest reasons I bought my Cat was of the fact it did not have much for electronics. Do we really need efi and all the electronics that are on a new machine. IMO electronics are just more to go wrong and more places for water and mud to get into.[/b]
I've been saying that all along. Sometimes, old school is the way to go. All the electronic-can-go-wrong gizmos are fine if all you do is drive your machine around your yard or in a mud hole or trail with a hundred other machines up your butt. For those of us who live and go into very remote areas with little or no other people around, excessive, unnecessary, complicated components become a liability. My old manual machine had very little electronics. Just the basics. A CDI, regulator and stator. No servos, no electronic instruments, no electronic shifting, no automatic transmission, no EFI. I ran that thing for twenty years and many thousand miles into places where I wouldn't see another person for a week or more. I never had a problem with it. The gadgets are fine for urban use or trails that look more like an ATV highway. Lots of opportunities to get towed back to your vehicle or home. The dilemma is that the intended purpose for the ATV has evolved. It is no longer a vehicle primarily used to access the back country. It has gone the way of the S.U.V. and become more of a plaything rather than the utility vehicle it was originally designed to be. By weight of numbers, the machine is being tailored to reflect the desires of the urban enthusiast rather than the utilitarian needs of true outdoors-men and adventurers. It is therefore becoming a platform for tinsel and glitter rather than retaining the proven and durable technology that made the machines so useful in the first place. We can only hope that one of the manufacturers will keep a common sense machine in their lineup. Fortunately, AC has been lagging somewhat in their zeal to adorn their products with too much techno gizmology. I applaud them for that. Unfortunately, I feel that those days are numbered.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts