Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1990 jag 440 afs f/c for $150. I was wondering what people's opinions are of this sled as this is the first one I've owned also would like to know how easy it is to find parts for this sled.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to ArcticChat!

Sounds like a perfect first sled for anyone, the AFS suspention should be plenty for anything you come accrost with a 440.

fan cooled motors are great because you can let them idle without oveheating, and that 440 is a funnn engine.

parts shouldnt be that hard to fine, and what i do with every sled (or any toy for that matter) is buy a parts vehicle. ushually you can pick one up for around what you paid for yours.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got one and its a fun sled good for older kids and adults pretty reliable sled in my opinion not too good for deep powder cause its short track just keep an eye on speedo if it quits working then check your driveshaft bearings,enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Like others said very easy. Wareable parts you can find new aftermarket. Or one off factory parts can still get a lot from Cat. Like frogggreen said that bearing is important for a used sled. Will cause more damage than the 15 dollar bearing if not checked

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your response. I just found out that my fuel tank has split at the seam where the two half's of the tank is welded was thinking of using jb weld to try and fix it. Also where people's ideas for cheap and easy power adders? I kinda like the sleeper sled idea

·
Registered
391 Posts
yep, bigger sled, with a jag 440 decal. studed tracks are very nice, not really a power adder but will make you much faster.

but you will have tons of fun with this, then next summer when the sleds are cheep you can look for a bigger sled if you want to go faster, but i love my old jag, put 200mi on it this winter and never left me sranded once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard that this sled is snappy which I assume means quick off the line but also heard that the top speed is only about 68mph but from what I hear it will be a fun sled for me after some tlc carb clean tank etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 89 that I put together for my son. Trouble is, I love the sled! I just converted to twin carbs (91 Jag Special), so I can't wait to see what it does now. Cheap tank replacement - they are the same as the '78 - 81 Tigers and others. Lots of them out there. Hardest thing to find is a track. Great runners. Enjoy the heck out of it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for their response to my post I want to put a pod filter on the motor but don't know what size to get I know the carb is a 34mm but don't know if that is the size filter to get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to ArcticChat!

Sounds like a perfect first sled for anyone, the AFS suspention should be plenty for anything you come accrost with a 440.

fan cooled motors are great because you can let them idle without oveheating, and that 440 is a funnn engine.

parts shouldnt be that hard to fine, and what i do with every sled (or any toy for that matter) is buy a parts vehicle. ushually you can pick one up for around what you paid for yours.
Are the motors for the arctic cat jag 440 the same from 1980-2000?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts