Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I appreciate any help here. I bought a new belt for my 2000 arctic cat ZL 700 . I did some clean up
of the clutch plates(did not remove either). /i watched a few you tube how to videos and they appear to show the needle bearing spinning on the clutch shaft.(clutch is removed)

My dumb question is.. should this happen with the clutch installed. When the engine is running the clutch plates on the primary travel in and out on the bearing shaft just fine , but the shaft itself seems fixed. I marked it with a sharpie along with the clutch plate and they stay consistent. So before i put a new belt on and possibly ruin it. I wanted to understand if my clutch actually is the issue and needs replaced./rebuilt.
thanks for any help here guys I am new to this. Sled has 4400 miles on it.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Not sure what needle bearing you're talking about. Only the outer sheave of the primary clutch moves. Only the inner sheave of the secondary moves too. Belt deflection is pressing down in middle of belt and it does not go more than 1 1/4 inches. This is so belt is not too tight and squeaking on primary shaft and too loose it won't grab properly. Clutch alignment uses a special bar to measure offset between the sheaves that don't move. You need to know this measurement for your sled. Specs can be found in the link I attached for a service manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what needle bearing you're talking about. Only the outer sheave of the primary clutch moves. Only the inner sheave of the secondary moves too. Belt deflection is pressing down in middle of belt and it does not go more than 1 1/4 inches. This is so belt is not too tight and squeaking on primary shaft and too loose it won't grab properly. Clutch alignment uses a special bar to measure offset between the sheaves that don't move. You need to know this measurement for your sled. Specs can be found in the link I attached for a service manual.

thank you very much for your reply. I watched a youTube video link below at the 3:45 mark seems to show a bearing on the fixed sheave shaft.
i did some research on my year clutch and model and it does not seem to show this part on the parts explosion .

so basically my question was exactly what you stated.. does only the outer sheave move over the inner sheave or is there a roller bearing in between the 2 as seen on this you tube video.

So you are right in your response based on the research on my particular clutch
Since i am new to this... i just did not want to put a belt on a non moving part and ruin it..

so thanks again.

b

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
He's working on the new Team clutches which obviously has that bearing. I have cleaned my clutches and have never seen that on any of them. It makes sense you can have less deflection if belt spins on a bearing. However the old style clutches need more deflection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's working on the new Team clutches which obviously has that bearing. I have cleaned my clutches and have never seen that on any of them. It makes sense you can have less deflection if belt spins on a bearing. However the old style clutches need more deflection.
thanks ..good to know..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts