Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up two 1979 jags 3000 f/a and an 8x8 trailer for $250 bucks anyone else think i got a good deal? My biggest question is what should I do first in order to get these sleds running?
I plan on new fuel, fuel lines, filters, pump diaframe, carb rebuild kit if i can find them...
any advice? :snow:

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Plan on replacing most of the suspension bearings and likely drive shaft. Check the chain case. Replace the dry rotted belts. Check wiring for cracked wire insulation and corroded connectors. Check all cables for sticking.

I usually dump some oil down the cylinders if it has been years since they ran and then pull it over slowly with the plugs out.....

Check the air boxes for nesting critters....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those things are bullet proof. It probably wouldn't take too much to get them going...clean the carbs, make sure they have spark, and run em! if they're in good shape you got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plan on replacing most of the suspension bearings and likely drive shaft. Check the chain case. Replace the dry rotted belts. Check wiring for cracked wire insulation and corroded connectors. Check all cables for sticking.

I usually dump some oil down the cylinders if it has been years since they ran and then pull it over slowly with the plugs out.....

Check the air boxes for nesting critters....
all Good ideas for down the road they are about 34 years old or so... however shouldn't i try replacing the items i mention in the fuel system and try running them before i go and replace all that suspension parts and what not....

Anyone know where to find a carb rebuild kit for one of these?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am more interested in what i should do First to get them Running as I mentioned in my first post although down the road info is appreciated

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Good deal! Clean carb fresh fuel, maybe a couple drops of oil in each cylinder. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carbs flooding?

So I got both of these sleds running and now I have a good question, one of the, runs pretty decent, the other idles rather low and while idling gas drips from the bottom of the carb what should I check?

What are the settings on these carbs for the set screws should I set them all to default and tune from there?

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I got both of these sleds running and now I have a good question, one of the, runs pretty decent, the other idles rather low and while idling gas drips from the bottom of the carb what should I check?
Sounds like it could be gaskets or something. Maybe time to find a rebuild kit for the carbs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It sounds like the bowl is what's leaking. If you go to

Alpha Sports Parts Diagrams - OEM Arctic Cat Snowmobile Parts Catalog

select 1979, then choose the Jag 3000 f/a. Click on the carburetor breakdown and then part number 12 is the gasket for the bowl. It looks like they have one in stock for around 7 bucks. Before buying a new gasket though, can you tell where exactly from the carburetor it's leaking?

Also, on my El Tigre carbuertors, which are the VM 34 model as opposed to the VM 30 model on the Jag, there is a drain plug on the bottom. Does yours have one of these? If it does it could simply be a matter of tightening it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it does have a drain plug which seems to be tight it also has a bowel gasket that seems to be in decent shape. I have a suspicion that i may have bumped the float and bent it a little... I think I want to compare it to the float on the other snowmobile's carb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
pair of 79 jags

great deal on the jags! i just got a 77 and a 79. looking for cheap pricew on carb parts.. that one that was recommended was expensive for some thing. $9 bowl o-ring..$30 for a float needle! i assume we have the same carbs.. 2 breather tubes on top?

·
Registered
774 Posts
FWIW, give Marcellus Sales in NY a call as they use to have a whole bunch of parts and carb kits for older sleds. 315-691-6628

1 - 15 of 15 Posts