Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying my first ATV last November (07 500 manual, Red) I've spent many hours reading through this forum as well as other ATV forums. One thing I noticed right away about this and most other ATV forums is the lack of name calling, bullying, and "internet fistfighting" that seems so common on some of the forums about other hobbies like hunting/guns and classic cars to name a few. The forum administrators and members are commended for keeping these forums a pleasant place to visit and learn.
While I haven't begun to wear out the stock Goodyear Rawhide RS radials, I am ready to upgrade my tires. I've picked up a set of new take-off steel wheels and will keep my stock tires and wheels for backup/spares.
My riding is purely recreational and consists of trailriding, logging roads, very moderate mud, and hill climbing. The other 50 percent is, oddly enough, riding the sand dunes at the Oregon coast. Not exactly the best place for the big Cat but lots of fun anyway. Two of my sons have sport quads and the sand is really great for them. I can generally go where they go with their paddle tires, it just takes 4wd and a little more time.
My main reason for changing tires is to hopefully improve handling on trails and gravel roads and maybe improve the sand performance a little(no paddles on the 500).
This is my shortlist:
1-Carlisle ACT x/lr 26-9-12 and 26-11-12. I've been really impressed with the standard ACTs on my neighbors CAN-AM, especially in the sand. The x/lrs should be even better.
2-Maxxis Bighorns 25-8-12 and 25-10-12. Seems to be the toughest tire out there and would fit most of my riding perfectly. I wonder if the wider and flatter profile of the ACT would work better in the sand?
3-Mudlite XTR, 25s or 26s. Would really like to go to 26s but they are really heavy. The power of the 500 suits me fine as is so I don't want lose too much power.
4-ITP Terra Cross, 25-8-12 and 25-10-12. Lightest of the bunch by far. Cheapest also(surprisingly). They've been getting some good reviews but not sure about their durablility compared to the Bighorns.
Gonna order some up this week, so decision time is near. Your input and advice is appreciated. Would really like some first hand info on the ACTs and Terra Cross since they are less common than the Bighorns and XTRs.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
3-Mudlite XTR, 25s or 26s. Would really like to go to 26s but they are really heavy. The power of the 500 suits me fine as is so I don't want lose too much power.""""

I have 26" XTR's on my 500 Auto and noticed very little power loss with them, the main thing I found was I lost some top end on the roads, other than that I love them.. They really do help the ride, they ride smoother than the stockers I think, and you cannot beat the traction you get with them almost too much sometimes but you learn to use a little throttle control to keep them from spinning. I have put them thru some nasty spots in the woods and they shine like a star in about every situation I have put them into so far in the last just over 500 miles.,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Option 3...XTR's in the 26's...I haven't noticed a power difference with mine. Good luck with your decision. Cat happy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, ya got me thinkin guys. Those two are probably the best choices. Was kinda hoping Hoopie would chime in since he he has both the Horns and XTRs and they are on machines that I am familiar with. Keep the comments coming-gonna order on Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
The Mudlite XTR's you'll love em! I have 27's I noticed a little power loss but gained it all back with my muffler mod. They have awesome traction, I hardly use 4wd! I can still get to 54 mph on flat ground (GPS tested), speedo only said 50 mph.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Love my 27" XTR's

Good Luck :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts