Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought a brand new 2006 M6 from the local dealer, Due to the lack of snow I have yet to actually do any real riding, however it is comming.

The sled I had before that was a 1998 Polaris RMK 600.

The salesman was a co-workers husband and wasn't really that great with service, I almost walked away from the slead but because I worked with his wife I got such a great deal so couldn't pass it up.

Just wondering is there anything special to do for the break in period, any known problems in general, anything I should look for?

Also I noticed that the spedometer both analog and digital kicks in and out, I live a bit away from dealer anything I can look at that may be loose?

As well I want to hook up a visor heter, but since it's batterless I don't know how/where

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope you get to ride your new sled soon. break-in is about 50 mi, vary the throttle, don't hold it at on position for very long, go to wide open throttle for 2sec every so often. Pre-mix APV oil 100:1 in the gas tank during break-in also. then change plugs after that first tank. As for the speedo check the plug on the back of it, maybe it's loose. I don't know where you can hook in to a 12v power supply, but I'm sure it can be done with ease.I know they have 190watt alternator.I have about 1000mi on my M6, with an SLP air horn, Boondocker, SLP can, it'll run with the M7. If you boondock at all I would recommend the Powermadd 2in non-pivot handlebar riser block, and narrow the ski's bushings all the way. I thought those two actions really helped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

The first tank has almost been run through it, but no APV was added to the gas, I had asked the dealer if there was a mixture to do for break in and they said no because it was EFI.

Was I mislead?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same happen to my dads 04 Sabercat 700 (spedometer both analog and digital kicks in and out), and when I brought it in they new exactly what it was. I would give them a call and ask them, I think its very minor to fix. Also run some snowmobile mineral oil (non-apv, its the cheap snowmobile oil) in the first tank, a bottle of 500mL. All snowmobiles require oil in the first tank, no exception for EFI. I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway those sleds are pretty rich from factory.
Josh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, unfortinaly dealer is closed on Sundays, so will call tomorrow and ask about the speedometer and visor heater assembly.

As far as lubrication, APV for the oil, I know there is no Chaincase on the ACT, but is there any other lubes that I need to watch the levels of?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The reason for oil in the first tank is in case there is a air bubble in the oil line and a momentary lapse of lube. This really only takes a few miles and is just a little insurance. If you have most of the first tank run out already I wouldn't worry about it.

Moosedog

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look under the hood in behind the ignitoin switch area, there is an accessory wire there most likely. There is one on my M7 anyway. The 6 should be no different and on page 136 of the Cat catalogue they sell an adapter that plugs right into it. I just fabbed my own though.

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I'll check that out, thanks for the info.

As far as lubrication, aside from APV, is there anything else that should be added/checked? I know there is no chaincase, is there something else?

As well as chasis grease, how often/kind/where?

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smijy @ Jan 15 2007, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As well as chasis grease, how often/kind/where?[/b]
Up front, there is one zerk on each spindle and one on each side of the bulkhead. These are easy to find.
I don't remember how many are on the skid, 6 maybe?? Basically anything that pivots has a zerk.
And use only low temp grease. I grease mine every couple hundred of miles...which may be over doing it, but you don't want water to sit in there very long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts