Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Joe and I live in Muskego,WI. I am a first time sledder, Ive rented a sled once in Iron River, did some trails, drank alot of beer, from what i remember-lol and rode a friends for a mile or so and was always intrigued and wanted one. I am now the proud owner of a older EXT 550 and am in love with it. I would love to meet some local people to show me the ropes so to speak. Im a 46 yr old Dad of 2 grown children and now its my turn to have some fun. I live on the West side of Little Muskego Lake.

I just had my first lesson in carbides and ice after a couple hours of internet research. Just ordered some Kimpex 7" 60 degree runners. **WOO HOO, 1st mod almost done. it has studs already.

Thanks in advance to everyone for all the help I am hoping to find here.
:lovewinter:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome Joe, a quick tip for you. DON'T DRINK AND RIDE !!!! 1992 EXT is a nice sled, the 90' Prowler body style, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
First time on new carbides and worn studs. If on bare ice take it easy a couple turns to see if the rear is going to hold. As the carbides wear it will even out if its too much

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dont worry 73 el tigre', that was a long time ago, I am now pushing the 1/2 a century mark and want to see just how far I can get on-lol. as far as the carbides 720? how long can I expect them to last? I think the studs are pretty good, this is only the second season on this track. Also, can anyone give an idea of where i can get basic info on these older sleds, like a spec sheet sorta with track size, belt size, settings, etc, oh yea whats the diff in the clutch spring colors and how hard and when should I change the hyfax's? where do i grease the machine, I found the one by the speedo cable on youtube (nice catch, I would of never known)? how do i check the chain oil? Jesus, there is alot to know and a million things going through my head, I can barely sleep at night-lol.
Wish I knew someone locally that could give me some tips, but I guess this learning curve is as much fun as riding the thing.

Joe

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would highly recommend getting a service manual or at least an owners manual, it'll answer these questions. You can try ebay or your Arctic cat dealer for a manual,the dealer could at least be able to answer your questions. I'm not sure but you might be able to research this site and find a lot of info from previous post's. Good luck and if you don't have any luck try back here.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Dont worry 73 el tigre', that was a long time ago, I am now pushing the 1/2 a century mark and want to see just how far I can get on-lol. as far as the carbides 720? how long can I expect them to last? I think the studs are pretty good, this is only the second season on this track. Also, can anyone give an idea of where i can get basic info on these older sleds, like a spec sheet sorta with track size, belt size, settings, etc, oh yea whats the diff in the clutch spring colors and how hard and when should I change the hyfax's? where do i grease the machine, I found the one by the speedo cable on youtube (nice catch, I would of never known)? how do i check the chain oil? Jesus, there is alot to know and a million things going through my head, I can barely sleep at night-lol.
Wish I knew someone locally that could give me some tips, but I guess this learning curve is as much fun as riding the thing.

Joe
The carbides last a very long time as far as wear 1000's upon thousands. But as far as working depends on the conditions. Your average hard pack trail with thin corners where you can bite into dirt. They work excellent for about 50 miles Then take a set and go away slowly over the next 1500 mi or so. A lot of people change them before they wear out to just get the original bite back. Clutch spring colors are to tell them apart. They have a double rating they compress it a little and get a reading in pounds say 100 then compress it some more reading say 200 pounds that spring is a 100/200 then they give it a color. Problem is there is a lot of people making springs. They dont all compress them to the same length so the pound numbers will be different. One guys RED spring might be the strongest one he makes. Another guys RED might be the weakest one he makes. When comparing you can only use one spring maker numbers with out a little research. For slides on a Cat use a 10 mm open wrench place it on the outside of the slide. When it starts going under that their not shot but should start watching them a little closer getting ready to change

1 - 7 of 7 Posts