Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a heated shield.... it's an Arctic Cat shield, sled is a 01 ZR800. Easy to hook up.... just connected to spare connection by the steering column. Fogged up between "panes". Worse then non heated shield. Shouldn't the shield feel warm when plugged in?? I did put a volt meter on it after my ride today.... I tested it at the end of the cord that plugs into the sled. Got no reading..... may not be testing it correctly... it's AC, correct? And only need one lead to test AC, correct? Tomorrow, I'm going to test the voltage w/o the shield cord plugged in.... Anyway, any ideas??

Thanks....

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
You'll need to use both leads and measure across the voltage source. If it's an RCA connector one lead goes in the middle and the other around the outside edge. Should be an AC voltage I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (D J M @ Feb 17 2007, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just bought a heated shield.... it's an Arctic Cat shield, sled is a 01 ZR800. Easy to hook up.... just connected to spare connection by the steering column. Fogged up between "panes". Worse then non heated shield. Shouldn't the shield feel warm when plugged in?? I did put a volt meter on it after my ride today.... I tested it at the end of the cord that plugs into the sled. Got no reading..... may not be testing it correctly... it's AC, correct? And only need one lead to test AC, correct? Tomorrow, I'm going to test the voltage w/o the shield cord plugged in.... Anyway, any ideas??

Thanks....[/b]
Hey D J M, your meter needs to be set to measure DC volts not AC. I checked by trying to measure a known good DC source using my Fluke 337 meter set for AC volts and it reads zero. The only thing that I'm aware of that is AC on either the sleds or quads is the output of the stator coil before the diodes in the charging circuit.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acquad700 @ Feb 17 2007, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (D J M @ Feb 17 2007, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks....[/b]
Hey D J M, your meter needs to be set to measure DC volts not AC. I checked by trying to measure a known good DC source using my Fluke 337 meter set for AC volts and it reads zero. The only thing that I'm aware of that is AC on either the sleds or quads is the output of the stator coil before the diodes in the charging circuit.
[/b][/quote]

From what I've learned on batteryless sleds all the Voltages are AC and on battery sleds I thought they have one DC voltage line going from the regulator (rectifier) to charge the battery but the rest of the sled is still AC voltage. Also could depend on who wired the shield connector. It's easy to check for both AC and DC voltage. Just don't measure current unless you know how to measure it correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
From what I've learned on batteryless sleds all the Voltages are AC and on battery sleds I thought they have one DC voltage line going from the regulator (rectifier) to charge the battery but the rest of the sled is still AC voltage. Also could depend on who wired the shield connector. It's easy to check for both AC and DC voltage. Just don't measure current unless you know how to measure it correctly.[/b]
Well, I guess there's something new to be learned every day. From what I've read after reading your post, some are AC systems some are DC systens and some have both. I have two friends who have sleds and theirs are DC only. Anyway, the main reason I even noticed the thread and chimed in (other than stick my foot firmly in my mouth) was to ask about the heated shields. I'm looking to buy a Crosstec helmet with the shield option and was curious how well they work. I guess I also need to know if it will work on 12 volts DC. The local dealer will order it for me but, I get the deer in the headlights look if I ask anything more about it and I don't see any specs on the A/C site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the voltage again using 2 leads and got a reading. BTW, it's AC. I'm going riding tomorrow, so I'll see if it fogs up again. From what I understand, there is a seal between the 2 'panes'. Maybe the seal is broke......

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a heated sheild on mine, AC on an AC helmet! Works GREAT!!!!!!!!!

I will never ride without it again, particularly when it is under 10 degrees or at night!

I measured mine on DC and it registers, just have to give it a bit of gas to see the needle move.

I measure at the connector to the sheild, probes go right in and stay put!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts