Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mornin fellas i am new to the forum but i see alot of knowledge flyin around and really am impressed . i only have basic wrenching and tuning skills but none of the what to do and what matches up and the information i am seekin is for a project that i am gonna start but tryin to do it right . i would appreciate any tips tricks or info on gettin the best ride and max hp . where can i get a aglt kit . the sled is a 94 zr 580 . picken up a wild cat this weekend !!! 89 650 !!! again thank you really great site .!!!

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
jlzr580mod, welcome call to ArcticChat! :chug:

There is no actual complete 'kit' available... It might be an idea for dealers or aftermarket retailers to offer up kits made from new or used parts. They could also pre-machine the spindles, install zerks, and include arm spacer-shims as well. It would be so easy to make an AGLT kit.

Best way price-wise to go about it is used parts. But there might be pitfalls along the way, like getting wrong parts, rusted or bent arms, wrong spindles or arms, etc. Bad buys are not the majority though, most are good from what I can tell.

When buying on the internet, dishonesty runs rampant and trust is often stretched so risk is always part of the equation. This is why I think a dealer or aftermarket company should offer the kits with or without machined spindles, and also a choice of brand new or used.

Brand new parts are pricey, especially for an older sled. As for me, I'd buy brand new because I plan to keep the AGLT modded sleds for as long as it takes for Cat to come out with a brand new sled that can handle as good... Which may be never, so I'll know up front I'll be owning & riding these AGLT machines for a very long time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks alot for the greetings and cheers to that i luv my sled just alot to do . it blew up i guess it was kinda my fault by not lookin at the studs on the track they were really not tightened properly and went thru the exchanger. what parts should i use i am goin to buy new parts and i have no clue what to buy as far as specs go . thanks youve been a great help . i am doin a complete rebuild from ground up on the zr 580 . the wild cat will be dun after the season i really dig the site ! happy sleddin i will get pics up .

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
AG is most definitly correct about buying on the internet in general but I have had many great dealings buying things from members on this website. Also in the for sale section you will find people parting out sleds all the time. This means that someone actually has that one stupid little piece you need!

Oh, and welcome call

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the sledes motor torn down , but cylinder wall is alittle scratched up up so a new one is goin in i was actually thinkin bout a 700 zr heads pistons and cylinders but im unsure if it willmatch up with 580 and if that involved replacing rods and all or just find a 700 zr engine . i definately have work cut out for me but a journey well worth it . it will my first complete ground up rebuild . everything is greatly appreciated . im a tree climber for residential and commercial tree work and i know knolledge and tips and tricks are hard to by from experts it is all appreciated . any and all recamendations are greatly appreciated . Not worthy:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
A 700 top end will not fit on the 580/550 bottom end. Use the online parts micro-fiche to check part numbers and find out where they are used for model cross reference. Browns Leisure World is a Canadian site and Alpha Sports is a US site.

There are plenty of threads that describe what is needed for the AGLT mod. I used parts from a 98 ZR fro mine, so I only got a 43.5" stance, instead of the 46" width you get with the 2000+ parts. I will, however, recommend you do the TSL skid frame swap as a higher priority. I swapped in a long travel rear suspension many, many years before doing the front end and the TSL skid frame was by far the best money I've spent on the old '94.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
A tree climber in NY state?!?!?!!? You are an insurance company's worst nightmare lol..... :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks i will start with the skid and take it from there that is my concern for the suspension aspect . thanks for the links . i only took out one fence and sixty sidewalks so far in 8 years lol ! big bore kit should work well too . keep it simple for now happy sleddin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts