Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New guy From Somerset, Ky (Lake Cumberland). Just bought a 2001 500 Auto, and I've got a rear brake problem. The foot brake just don't work, I thought it needed new pads so I got a new set and still nothing. So next I bled the line and still nothing. Could it be a bad master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Welcome aboard Big Mac. When you say the rear brakes don't work, are you saying they don't work with either the hand or foot levers? If that's the case, I might be suspect of the caliper itself as the front handle and rear pedal use separate hydraulic systems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Feb 6 2007, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Welcome aboard Big Mac. When you say the rear brakes don't work, are you saying they don't work with either the hand or foot levers? If that's the case, I might be suspect of the caliper itself as the front handle and rear pedal use separate hydraulic systems.[/b]

I meant just the foot brake, the hand brake works fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ Feb 6 2007, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
welcome call

Could also be a seized caliper. Had that on my 650.

In general, I don't think the brake setups on the older Cats is that great to start with.
Mine sucks.

Later
Molsondrinkr[/b]
But with a seized caliper wouldn't the brake padel be really stiff?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Could it be out of adjustment? Aren't the older foot brakes cable actuated?
JD

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Mac @ Feb 6 2007, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ Feb 6 2007, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome call

Could also be a seized caliper. Had that on my 650.

In general, I don't think the brake setups on the older Cats is that great to start with.
Mine sucks.

Later
Molsondrinkr[/b]
But with a seized caliper wouldn't the brake padel be really stiff?
[/b][/quote]

I would have thought so, but mine wasn't. I bled it to. I'm not sure if the 500's and the 650's have the same type setup.

You will be able to see it though. Assuming there isn't a lot of air in the line and you pump it, the caliper should have some movement. Mine did not move at all.

I guess if it has been through mud and water, it can get messed up.

Just something to check anyway.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
212 Posts
you dont have a master cylinder on a back foot brake on that bike, all it is is a cable that when you push down the pedal pulls the cable and "try's" to close the calaper but they dont work very well if at all? the first year cat put a hydraulic foot brake on the 500 is 2006. you can try to take up the slack in the cable but then you stand the chance of braking it when you push hard on the foot brake sorry to "break" the bad news to you but i hope it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOSSLOADER @ Feb 6 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you dont have a master cylinder on a back foot brake on that bike, all it is is a cable that when you push down the pedal pulls the cable and "try's" to close the calaper but they dont work very well if at all? the first year cat put a hydraulic foot brake on the 500 is 2006. you can try to take up the slack in the cable but then you stand the chance of braking it when you push hard on the foot brake sorry to "break" the bad news to you but i hope it helps.[/b]

The Auto's have a master cylinder the Man.'s have the cable type system.

Looks like I'm going to have to put a new master cylinder on it bang your head

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personally never use the foot brake. The hand lever works so much better, even on the 07's.

Mitchman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts