Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let everybody know I found a new brand of oil filter here in Canada. Luber Finer Part # PH7016. It is not a Fram but the part numbers are similar. I can get them for about $7 Cdn. When I change my filter next time I am going to cut it open to see what the inside is like for material and how much is actually there. Check out there website for dealers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canadiana Automotive in Yorkton. Advic filters plus carries them also but about a $1 more. I have three on order. They were back ordered. Seems like everything this year is on back order. Where abouts are you from. I am still waiting for my spring cataloge from Rec Supply to see what my cost is with them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Even for a 7 dollar filter, I don't know if I would be willing to travel down to the Ukranian Triangle that is South-East Saskatchewan... :lol:

The perogies and garlic sausage always get me in trouble...

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I can get Car Quest filters for the same price here, actually they are 7.76 US

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saskabush. Where do you live. I may know someone in the area or even travel there. Get a six pack for under $50. The guy at Canadiana don't have them in stock because he doesn't get enough call for them. Guys always forget about his small shop. Get enough people together on a order and it could be worth while for shipping maybe.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Battlefords...

After buying one CAT filter for $27.99, I quickly decided that there had to be a better way. Currently, I am using Fram filters for about 10 bucks a filter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Napa here told me about $ 10. Check around with who ever sells filters. Ask for luber fine filters. Who the hell is selling filters for $27 , that is just flat out stealing.. The Cat dealer here is $19 and the suzuki Dealer is $12 (Same Filter) If you want I could check into shipping cost to you. I don't know of anyone coming that way right now. I would guess 6 filters and shipping would be somewhere around $60 - $65 maybe less. Got any other buddies that ride Cats. They fit most of the Cats. I will be doing a oil change here in the next little while and I will cut the old one open to see what they are like inside.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Hey SaskCats:

If you want to save coin on oil filters, you can cut your costs by half or better by changing them every second or third oil change. I have read postings from a KLR site that have very knowledgeable participants. Many of them do regular oil analysis and a few of them actually take their filters apart and stretch the paper element to inspect for particles being caught. They have concluded that most oil filters will do a better job of filtration as the element becomes more restrictive from capturing larger particles. By the third oil change, the filters were working at their best. The people providing this information are professional mechanics and mechanical engineers. They usually change oil on their KLRs at 1500 to 2000 mile intervals. They send their oil to independent labs for analysis and are very particular if not anal about their engine maintenance. I have a KLR and have been following their advice. I have been doing the same for the Cat. It's your choice to do as you wish. I just thought that I would share this with you if you wanted to save money on oil filters. By the way, their oil analysis results have proven that Shell Rotella T is the best conventional oil for shear resistance. It held it's viscosity by a margin of 50% better than Valvoline. I used to use Valvoline and have now switched to Rotella. Have you checked your air filter lately?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts