Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Administrator
2,605 Posts
I'll try and do a thorough write up with pictures tonight...

oil is injected at the reeds like all lay down engines, and a small amount is mixed into the fuel at the fuel rail. This oil is fed by an electronic pump controlled by the ecu.

The center cavity for the water pump shaft and gear now uses lip seals, and an oil bath, oil is supplied directly from the oil tank.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The center cavity for the water pump shaft and gear now uses lip seals, and an oil bath, oil is supplied directly from the oil tank.[/QUOTE]
Not that it would, but if the water pump shaft seal leaks,would you got coolant into your oil, And later your engine if not cought in time,or oil into your coolant. The oil is it the inject oil? Thanks,KromNot worthy:

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Cool stuff!

Krom, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts

·
Administrator
2,605 Posts
That saves me a lot of time lol

The water pump has always had 2 seal, one seal to keep the water in the cooling system, and another to keep the oil in the engine. between those 2 is a space, with a hole at the bottom, if either seal goes bad, the stuff that leaks through it will run out the bottom of your sled.

Any more questions, keep them coming. I spent a lot of time talking to Greg, and Donn

·
Registered
10 Posts
New technology

Anyone have any reservations about jumping on a new engine like this? With the cost of sleds now days it makes me think twice about it. I've wanted an El Tigre since the 70's while riding my dads hand me down 73 Panther 440 and the 600 is just what I'm looking for. Thnx in advance.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes. In a 600 I don't care about technology. I don't even really care about what hp it makes. All I care is that it starts and propels the machine down the trail. I give no thought to what is taking place under the hood. So for me me I'm paying a premium for something I don't even know or care about. It could just as well have carb under the hood for all I care. I think these new EPA regs stink!! All they do for me is drive up the cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess what I'm wondering is whether the new engine will be reliable and perform as advertised. Ie: performance, fuel mileage, oil consumption
I bought a new 500 in 98 which was the first year of that engine. The engine was reliable, had plenty of top end, but was a big fat pig on bottom end. Fuel mileage was not close to what was advertised. Obviously the price you pay for a fast sled. Finally did get it better by rejetting and dropping the clip on the needle.
Obviously much more information available now with what testing has been done and people's impressions from demo rides and such to make a decision.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anyone have any reservations about jumping on a new engine like this? With the cost of sleds now days it makes me think twice about it. I've wanted an El Tigre since the 70's while riding my dads hand me down 73 Panther 440 and the 600 is just what I'm looking for. Thnx in advance.
They say this engine as been tested for 4 yrs. I hope it was not tested by the same people that "tested" the procross turbos.:sleeping: I've had no issues with mine but for some guys its been a disaster.Very bad pr for Cat. I thought seriously about the new 600 as a second sled but opted for a '13 1100na. Lets pray the c-tec hits ahome run!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts