Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few variations on the belt guards at the show. This one was interesting because it was made out of steel. It also has a lot of room for the air to get in there around the belt and clutches.
Auto part Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Engine

How do you guys think this will work for belt and clutch cooling? There is less protection toward the throttle bodies when you blow a belt. But I have never seen damage on that area around the clutches.

This guard is much better for the top side protection and the area around the upper secondary, but do you think there is too much left open around the guard? I'm curious. I do need to replace the belt guard on my sled. It has been through a few belts. That also means beat up belt guards.
This was the first belt that blew.
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Rim

I have just kept bending and hammering that one back into shape after each belt explosion. The guard is getting too weak and bent out of shape.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it does fit, I want to retrofit my sled. I may consider the new tank if needed. I like having more fuel.

BTW, my shin is just recovering from the last belt explosion. It blew so hard that the panel and guard beat up the shin pretty good. I was a little surprised by that particular blow because I never had an injury before when they blew.

·
Administrator
2,603 Posts
Engineering said that the new guard will require a new tank. You can add a clear coolant bottle too, if you want.
The steel guard is a proto that experienced cracking problems during testing, it will be aluminum and thicker

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Engineering said that the new guard will require a new tank. You can add a clear coolant bottle too, if you want.
The steel guard is a proto that experienced cracking problems during testing, it will be aluminum and thicker

Those are all great ideas but should the consumer really have to pay for these mistakes? The coolant bottle should have been clear in fact it was clear they "updated it" to a black hose. I would love a clear tank because the fuel guage is useless.

Favoritos you should demand a tank and guard lucky it wasnt worse, with some of the busted secondaries ive seen Ive wondered that myself what if a piece goes through and into my knee??? The belt guard cant even withstand the force of the belt delaminating

·
Administrator
2,603 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I've never seen a good working fuel gauge on any snowmobile, that's what the trip meter is for, fill up at 100 miles and you won't have any problems on almost any sled built in the last 20 years.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Krom,

It is nice to see them working on a better guard. I have tried to modify them myself with a little bit of success, but still wanted to see a stronger guard. I did see a few variations on the sleds at the show and was curious what the final product would look like for our sleds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.