Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I installed a brand new axle seal on the front right side of my 07 650. I packed it full of red and tacky grease. It didn’t do it’s job and was leaking. I pulled the axle out to look at it. I don’t think it’s in backwards. It does look like it’s not fully seated. Not sure if I didn’t put it in all the way the first time or it worked it’s way out. I’ll try tapping it all the way in and put back together.

Do you see anything wrong? Any tips or tricks to keep this from leaking?

Thanks.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Camera lens Cameras & optics

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Fluid Liquid Automotive lighting Wood

Water Automotive tire Fluid Liquid Rim

·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
OEM seal ?

·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
Did you make sure the mating surfaces were clean and dry of any oil or grease?

·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
Yes it has to be super clean and dry. It’s a friction fit. Also make sure the seal goes in perfectly lined up all the way around. A seal driver can help , but gentle taps with a rubber mallet will do it.

·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
Yes there are, but I’ve never had an issue with them if they are straight. They help keep the dirt out.

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
I put them in dry and then wipe a little grease around the seal before I install axle. Not a lot, just to say you greased them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The new seal should not be flush with the dif case. It should be just like it is on the OPs pic. I would install them dry though. If you look at the old seal, the issue is, the old seal doesn't have much surface area it touches on the CV axle itself. The new seal doesn’t go in as far so has more surface area on the CV axle to seal on. The worthless “dust covers” actually encourage the build up of dirt. Tap them off and get rid of them. They do nothing beneficial for you and they may encourage leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts