Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, here's a pic of my new 2016 Alterra 550XT. AC had some great rebates on the leftover 2016's and I couldn't say no. I added a set of 26" Kenda bearclaw HTR's and 14" ITP rims. Also have a KFI 3500 stealth winch on order. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Fast66. This is my first AC quad (had an AC sled in the past) and so far I like it. I have already completed the first service on it and it's much easier to work on than my Polaris or Honda was. I really like the strong engine braking and fuel efficiency. Hoping for many trouble free miles out of it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They’re not bad in the mud, they seem to clean out okay but definitely not as good as a dedicated mud tire. That being said, I think they’re great tires. Have 3,500km on them and they show little wear. They handle great and have good puncture resistance (they’re 8 ply). I would definitely recommend them. I’ve had mudlites, bighorns, and bighorn 2.0’s in the past and in my opinion these HTR’s are way better than any of those tires.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Way to go, 3,500 km already! I still like the Jeep style front end of the older Arctic Cats, but I'm still pissed that Jeep used rectangular headlites, years ago, haha. Curious how bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends have held up on the Alterra?

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,105 Posts
Way to go, 3,500 km already! I still like the Jeep style front end of the older Arctic Cats, but I'm still pissed that Jeep used rectangular headlites, years ago, haha. Curious how bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends have held up on the Alterra?

Same as the old ones unfortunately. The tie rod boots on mine are cracked just from sitting at the dealer. Suspension bushings are the same old style rubber. They are real squeaky. I’m around 400 miles on mine. Power steering and rider comfort are great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
ArcticFrost, I've had good luck with the bushings on my TRV and the Diesel, by occasionally pulling them out and lubing with silicone grease. The ones on my 2014 TRV lasted 1,700 very hard miles before replacing. Tie rod ends still ok. Just replaced tie rod ends and all bushings on my 2008 Diesel,btw, if you use silicone grease, wear rubber gloves! If you don't, suddenly everything you touch will be slippery! I've also heard spraying a UV protectant like 303 might prolong the life of all boots, CV and tie rod end boots.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Same as the old ones unfortunately. The tie rod boots on mine are cracked just from sitting at the dealer. Suspension bushings are the same old style rubber. They are real squeaky. I’m around 400 miles on mine. Power steering and rider comfort are great though!

I have a 17 700 Alterra, no issues at all yet. But I silicone spray all rubber regularly and also the winch wire.

Gotta say though, I really like the build quality of my AC. My 18 KQ 750 engine is more sporty and it's a rock solid machine. But all the cheap plastic fasteners, I had to buy replacement in bulk because if one branch or something lightly flexes the plastics, they loose their there tight connection. Drives me nuts. AC's everything is solid and bolted

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
M4TH1EU you got a sweet looking quad! The new set of tires just made it look even better!

Reactions: M4TH1EU

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with M4TH1EU. In my opinion the Alterra's are one of the best looking ATV's on the market today.

·
Administrator
40,366 Posts
Looks sharp! I’m really liking that tread design.
I had bighorns before and these massfx I got grab better IMO. 1300 miles on mine so far with no issues.

Can you post more info on those tires please ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats looks very cool! Loved the painting, looks really sharp. Would love to hear more about the tires as well. I'm thinking about ordering a 2015 AC 500 but now I'm thinking about 2016 after seeing this pic... I'm gonna buy house in Riga soon and dreaming about riding there so I need to decide quickly...

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,105 Posts
They were $260 for a set, called MassFX. Squarer tire design than Bighorns. They are wearing nicely and have very little wear (currently 1300 miles). I had 3000+ on the Bighorns before selling them with the old 550 and decided to get these to save $$$ for other upgrades. Glad I got them, I’m liking them so far.
Terrain I use them is mainly dirt and gravel with some mud, and they pull through the mud pretty well too. IMO they grip better than the Bighorns (and Sedona Rip Saws which I had) because of the square tire style.
I’ll probably make a video on them in the future.

MassFX tires

Sedona Rip Saw and Maxxis Bighorns

1 - 20 of 21 Posts