Arctic Cat Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Hans, nice video. While you were driving your Turbo Diesel in Namibia, I was blasting my Arctic Cat Diesel in Maine! Probably cooler, here 15F, actually perfect, the Diesel loves cold weather, power is nuts in the cold! Still running summer #2 oil, it loves it!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hans, you have no excuse now! Turn that screw in as far as you dare, then squirt some red "Loc Tite" to keep it from falling into the motor! If you want a higher top end, check with Kohler, they have governor springs for 4,300 like mine or even 4,500. You can also play with advancing the injection timing, but my experience, it got louder but not much faster. Don't know about your Cat turbo, but my Mitsubishi turbo with the blow off welded shut maxes out at 17 psi boost. So 17 psi seems ok with stock head bolts and head gasket. 1,400 turbocharged miles on mine, btw!

Advancing the timing will not make the engine faster. It will help burn the extra fuel from the tampered fuel screw.thumbguy

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
trackspeeder, the turbocharger helps burn most of the fuel, although, when I nail mine from a stop, I get some black smoke until turbo boost spools up. Before the turbo, I ran with advanced fuel timing, after turbo, didn't see much advantage, just seemed a bit more clackkey, so I went back to 0degrees. I couldn't believe how much stuff they fit inside the stock muffler! Musta saved 15 pounds by gutting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The timing change will show with a pyrometer Advancing the timing will cut the EGT back.

You're not kidding about that stock muffler. I started by drilling a bunch of holes inside it. After realizing this is going to do squats, I carefully cut the end off. Removed all the guts with my trusty slide hammer leaving the packing at the shell. Replaced the end making it look stock but it isn't. On a side note. The LDW is obnoxious straight piped.slaphappy

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Trackspeeder, 1 thing that I would warn, if you turn in the fuel screw all the way with no turbocharger, under the right conditions, I believe EGT's can get high enough to do serious damage! I had a pyrometer on mine and with 2 people or towing a trailer uphill at WOT, EGT's would hit 1,300F and still be climbing. I always let off the throttle. Once I did the turbo and intercooler, EGT's dropped way down. Soon after the Chinese pyrometer died, never replaced. With up to 17 psi boost, it could handle a lot more fuel, imho.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes they will get to high. That is why I cranked up the fuel a little bit. Then advanced the timing to keep everything in check. This little two banger is to expensive to repair after a thermal nuclear melt down.slaphappyslaphappy

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Done the 1st 500KM service changed oil and filter and re-route the crank case breather, and turned the fuel screw in a few turns extra.
drove it only 10 miles on gravel road not in the dunes yet to test the extra fuel, as my boost pressure sensor is defective a new sensor is on order then i can see the results with boost / smoke and performance
after the 10 miles test drive no more oil leaks from the crank case breather pipe, before there was always oil spillage on the garage floor

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
small test drive with the new GoPro 7 hero with GPS tracking, works perfectly

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Turned the fuel screw in a few turns. That's what the turbo wants! You could even try to find a 4500 rpm spring. I believe I saw that yours was only 3,800. We know from our little ride in Maine, that it doesn't mind running at high rpm's for a long time! Beautiful country, Hans! 1 Giant benefit of the turbocharger is reduced EGT's. Curious how high yours gets driving in sand. Mine dropped way down after the turbo.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
John,
its the 3800 spring, will make a nice drive in the dunes now after the summer here the sand is soft so I expect higher egt
yes I need to tune a bit more I hardly have any black smoke at all so I have room for a bit extra fuel
last weekend we drove with the Polaris general in a old river bedding amazing trip (Swakopmund river) want to take the diesel there next time.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
A nice sundowner drive along the west cost of Namibia and on the way home pulled out a family from Botswana what was stuck with the ford on the beach

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I have a Diesel ATV also. Making it a mud bike. This is the first post I have found with someone else working on them.
Reddoggy, remember, the diesels have an alternator, may not be advisable to run em too deep, unless perhaps you could seal it like "marine alternators" are. Also check the Mann Hummel air intake for leaks. I found leaks in the joints on mine and actually got rid of it when I did the turbocharger.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
the Turbo Diesel pulling out a VW Polo what was stuck in the lose sand at the beach of Langstrand Namibia

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, hopefully someone gets this message ? I would like to turbocharge and intercool my 2010 arctic cat super duty 700 diesel quad, cand you please provide me some information on name brand of a complete kit and where to buy this from ? Can you also provide the pros and cons of doing this ? Is this worth doing ?

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Hello, hopefully someone gets this message ? I would like to turbocharge and intercool my 2010 arctic cat super duty 700 diesel quad, cand you please provide me some information on name brand of a complete kit and where to buy this from ? Can you also provide the pros and cons of doing this ? Is this worth doing ?
Please start your own thread.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts