Arctic Cat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you, not completed yet still struggle with breather system its a filter just above valve cover and its leaking some oil.
not sure how you guys did the breather system but i will order a oil catcher and install it.
just drove it short while due my intense travel (Africa, middle east and Japan and Singapore) i will be not be able to give more feedback and vids for a month and halve but keep you guys posted

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I put a catch can in a Black Boar box on the front rack. Here's a picture. Any oil that goes into it , gravity feeds back into the top of the head. My machinist made a provision to run a hose between the air cleaner and the turbocharger. Just made me nervous that it might suck oil out and into the combustion chamber. Already experienced a runaway when the turbo blew oil into the intake/ intercooler. Quite a buttpuckering experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
My mechanic/machinist assures me that it's normal for this motor to have some blow-by. I've kept an eye on oil consumption, seems very low. You may see a slight vapor coming from the filter, but I think it's better to vent to atmosphere than inject back into combustion chamber. You might want to place the catch can high up near your K&N filter, just check if the oil vapors start to clog air filter. After 100 miles, I clean up the inside of the Black Boar box with a paper towel, it's not that bad.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finally done with the modifications, tested new breather and its working perfectly, put all plastics back and we can now be starting to enjoy the bike.
It’s a awesome thing to tour over the beach and a beast in the sand dunes just unstoppable

Attachments

·
Administrator
37,069 Posts
Very cool !!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks,
was quite a bit work but very impressed with the results its a beast and amazing torque even with the bigger 14" rims.
enjoy every second with it

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Got to admit, once turbocharged, it has the best sounding exhaust note! If there was a way to quiet down the clacking of the Bosch fuel injectors..... Now, when I ride my 700 TRV, it feels wimpy. Like getting off a Harley an onto a moped!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Clacking sound of the injectors, this remind me of one of my friends in Namibia what drive a Toyota hilux 3.0TD pick up, those old fashion diesels are not that fast and we always joke the only thing what changes when you floor it, is the sound of the injectors and the expression on your face.

i have bought and sold many ATV,s and UTV,s over the years, but the diesel is not for sale this one stay with me, the combination of sound (special with the speedwerx exhaust) and torque and pulling power it's an incredible machine.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
They will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands, haha! Unless Textron comes out with a new turbocharged 3 cylinder model. A turbocharged Kohler KDW 1003 or Mercedes "Smart Car" diesel could be interesting. Been thinking about building a motorcycle with one of those motors. BTW, Hans, any pictures of the "Wildcat Wreck"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I plan on putting a turbo on my 07 700D and wanted to know if I need to swap out the muffler to turbo it. It’s illegal to ride without a spark arrestor in Canada

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Your standard muffler will do the job but i think you will get some back pressure as the exhaust outlet pipe is very small, you will not have the max performance.
i have a speedwerx exhaust not sure there is spark arrestor

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got one of those SpeedWorx mufflers. It fit well, although it really doesnt sound much different than the stock muffler.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
we had a nice drive last weekend in the Namibian dunes, the turbo diesel was keeping up extremely well with the 2 ODES 800 UTV,s i was actually right on their tail, the UTV drivers couldn't believe it
the diesel is a real beast, soon the 1st 500KM service i will tune up the fuel rack a bit more, so far no smoke at all so i can give it a bit more after first service

Attachments

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Hans, you have no excuse now! Turn that screw in as far as you dare, then squirt some red "Loc Tite" to keep it from falling into the motor! If you want a higher top end, check with Kohler, they have governor springs for 4,300 like mine or even 4,500. You can also play with advancing the injection timing, but my experience, it got louder but not much faster. Don't know about your Cat turbo, but my Mitsubishi turbo with the blow off welded shut maxes out at 17 psi boost. So 17 psi seems ok with stock head bolts and head gasket. 1,400 turbocharged miles on mine, btw!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I plan on putting a turbo on my 07 700D and wanted to know if I need to swap out the muffler to turbo it. It’s illegal to ride without a spark arrestor in Canada
I cut the end of the stock muffler, gutted 10 pounds of constipated stuff out, welded the end back on. Sounds better, no back pressure and, it's like the tree that fell in the forest, but nobody heard, did it make a sound? nope. I'd like to know how anybody would ever know, also I had a bigger down turning tip welded on. I sanded it and painted with flat black VHT header paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
last Sunday 9th December I drove a dune trip of 65 miles the diesel holding strong now she is in for the 1st service

see on you tube Arctic cat diesel dune drive in Namibia

41 - 60 of 74 Posts