Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
thank you, Joe, i just power them up they look awesome and you can choose 7 different colours backlight.

Also the water temperature has a red status light its solid red with engine temp less then 40C / 100F and startflashing if exceed 148 / 300F what is way to high but not adjustable.
Forgive me, but isnt engine oil temp more important than water?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Forgive me, but isnt engine oil temp more important than water?

Joe,
for a diesel absolutely, however oil is heating up slowly, if you have a cooling problem before lube oiltemperature is going up it may already too late, in case of water pump failure or a hose what beak and water leaks out then its only seconds before water temperature goes up and if you have only oil temperature its way to late before you will notice it.
Best option is to have both water and oil, but the cover has basically only place for 3 gauges so it’s a compromisenow I have water boost and EGT

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Sweet! I talked to the guy in charge of testing for the military. They towed 2,000 lb trailers thru the desert in Arizona, so I think the cooling system is overkill. I wouldn't mind if it had a large oil cooler, though and wish it held more oil. My old AC 400 held almost 4 qts, 2 qts seems kinda small for a workhorse like the Diesel. A while back a bunch of guys in Australia took a long tour thru the desert, so, I'm probably second guessing.:grin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any more information on that trial Wall? Id love to read up on that.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Joe, the guy that I spoke to works for Kohler. Kohler sells the motor also as a marine engine for small boats, launches etc. I met the guys from Kohler at a Fishermans Forum in Rockland , Me. They had the same motor on display. I told them about turbocharging my AC, they were quite interested. So as far as the military testing, don't know if you could get the documents from the government, pretty sure if you knew where to look, "Freedom of Information Act" think they have to give to you. I still thing AC is building them for military use, USA is not the only country that uses them.

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Any updates on your build?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
finally managed to fabricate the flanges and pipes for turbo and exhaust installation.
ordered all exhaust pipes and rubber hoses for air side in USA as nothing of this size is locally available.
keep you guys updated, however the quad will first start his next journey to Namibia where it will get completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Bet you'll like the sound of that exhaust after the turbo! Compared to the Diesel, my 700 gasoline TRV, sounds weak and wheezy. May have to try one of those mufflers!

·
Registered
58 Posts
the speedwerx exhaust muffler perfect fit with the stock replacement
speedwerx model AC700-ATVP-2
Are you happy with the muffler? Ive been looking at the for some time.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
You may want to find a way to partially support the weight of the turbocharger besides just the bolts into the manifold. Fair bit of up and down shaking when it's running. It's supporting the weight of the front part of exhaust. Mine actually blew out the gaskets, besides over pressuring the oiling of the turbo, separate issue.. Should have put a 1.5 mm restrictor into oil feed, duh!!:wub:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
could not start the engine yet as turbo installation is ongoing, now we shipped the quad to our other location in Namibia so it will take 40 days to reach there by container

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The diesel is now in the container on the way to Namibia, there we will complete the modification and do the 1st start.
we didn't start up yet, but will post a vid clip with sound later

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finally after several months we continued on the turbo modification
turbo oil drain we welded to the dipstick pipe, exhaust gas temp sensor installed, at the moment installing everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Nice! You're gonna love it! If you haven't yet, don't forger to turn in the "locked torque screw" With the turbocharger and the fuel maxed out, highest EGT's that I've seen has been 800F, before turbo, 1250F

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Boost controller next to the air filter and EGT sensor in exhaust after turbo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
ready for 1st start up, rims are from the Wild cat X with Maxxis bighorn 14" tires

first startup also on YouTube

Attachments

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Outstanding job! Too bad Arctic Cat never offered with a turbocharger! I love mine, just wish it had power steering like my gas model.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts