Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after months of searching I found a new 2015 AC 700 diesel what was shipped to us and received the 1st week October 2017.
We will start the turbo modification and I will update this thread regularly with findings and pictures and may need help and advice from other members with the turbo experience

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im trying to find out if Matt (Or anyone else) is making turbo kits. I just picked out a 700 and Id really like to turbo it.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Try <whitbreadperformance.com> Perhaps he'd be more interested to do 2. I still say, before you do it, play with the fuel screw, loosen the 8 mm nut,turn it in a few turns, watch for black smoke.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the turbo what i going to install, it’s anoriginal IHI made for Caterpillar and is used on a Cat C1.5the well-known VZ21 RHB31 is a clone of the IHIbut basically similar in size

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
That looks like a real one, still check the turbine wheel that it's sloppy. I'd say you are 99% safe, but those pesky Chinese counterfeiters ! I used Chinese silicone hose and a $99 Chinese intercooler and mounted in front of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wallamatogus there is a guy on youtube what compare the 2 turbo,s and i work with Caterpillar so for me it was a easy call

VZ21 VS IHI RHF3 Turbo for Yanmar Diesel Compressor

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I can get 15 psi max boost , full throttle going up a hill. Something tells me, that's plenty for this little motor. After installing the turbo, I played with fuel injection timing and tried maxing out the fuel. Honestly felt that maxed out was too much, too much black smoke and I got a strange lope in the idle after running hard. I tried 15 degrees advanced on fuel injection, really clacky. Settled on 5 degrees BTDC. Oil pressure is very good. BTW, those stock tires don't belong on such a capable machine. I switched to 26" ITP Terra Cross RT's. Good luck, we are a tiny club= Arctic Cat Turbo Diesels!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking of 14 inch rims i still have a set new maxxis bighorns 26X9XR14 front and 26X11XR14 rear (bought if for my Odes raider SxS but i sold this Odes before i could install the tires) i just want to find matching rims for it
you know if i can fit those size tires with 14 inch rims?

i just got her 2 days ago we stripped her down, i haven't done yet anything on fuel timing yet but your 5 degrees BTDC is that a 1/4 turn of the injector adjustment bolts CW direction?
thanks for the tips, by the way do you have a close up picture of your oil feed and oil drain line connection, much appreciated if you can share

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I've had 14" rims with 30" Mudzillas, they worked, but honestly like it better with 12" AC rims and the 26" Terra Cross RT'S. The 26" Big Horns will look a lot like this, just narrower sidewalls. You will like a lot more than the original weenie tires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update onthe diesel project, removed the vacuum pump and exhaust re-circulating valveand blinded off the pump drive with an original cover.
Made upflanges for the turbo and do the positioning before final welding of theflanges
Will installa [email protected] crankcase breather filter and ordered a [email protected] HA-5000 air filter
Also goingto install 3 AVM gauges one for water temp, one for boost press and one for EGT

Picture 1the vacuum pump and exhaust re-circulating valve
Pic 2the cover installed where the vacuum pump was seated
Pic 3the [email protected] crankcase breather filter
Pic 4the flange made up between exhaust and turbo

Attachments

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Curious where you put the gauges. Here's the ones on my Diesel and ones that I put on my old AC 500. If you use the AC windshield, it's kinda easy to mount off. In retrospect, I would spend the extra money and get marine Stewart Warner or VDO gauges, as the Chinese ones tend to fog up, if you keep the ATV outside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
my plan was (thanks to your advice) to remove stock air filter for a [email protected] filter and yes same idea i had as you show at the last picture 2 next to each other and 1 a bit higher thats a good position if the stock filter is out.
the gauges are AEM the same as in your 1st picture the air/fuel ratio gauge, it supposed a good brand i have a water temp, EGT and a boost pressure but i have the mechanical types
my wildcat and quad standing in the garage never outside and i ship them to our other branch in Namibia Africa there is always mild weather never cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I cut out the plastic battery box and placed the K&N right under the seat. Perfect place for battery way back above tow hitch, nice shelf, just strap it down. I was able to get a decent sized Optima Yellow Top in there. BTW, somebody asked about cold starting, if you use glow plugs it starts awesome, at least to -10F

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guys Id think again about all this K&N business. The reason they flow so well is that they DONT filter very well. Ive read a few reports that compare air filters and the K&N always marks near the bottom of the list in filtration! I usually use Amsoil EAA air filters, but they dont make anything for the Arctic Cat. So, Ill look elsewhere.

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Get a Uni filter.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I have a couple UNI filters that will fit the diesel. PM me, I'll send you one. I know what people say about Fram and K&N,but I've run my Dodge hemis over 615,000 miles with them, neither use oil.:grin Here is a UNI mounted on the Diesel. This is the restrictor fitting that I should have used in the turbo oil feed line.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
installation of the 3 AEM Gauges
EGT, boost pressure and water temperature

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Really nice and clean there Hans.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really nice and clean there Hans.
thank you, Joe, i just power them up they look awesome and you can choose 7 different colours backlight.

Also the water temperature has a red status light its solid red with engine temp less then 40C / 100F and startflashing if exceed 148 / 300F what is way to high but not adjustable.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts