Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i have just a curious question. i have a 2005 f7 carb with act drive. whats better the chain case firecats or the act drive firecats? whats better an why? should i keep the act drive or sell it and buy the chaincase model? can i get some info guys, please??

·
Registered
302 Posts
act is a lot heavier slowing it down obv. im not sure i think theres more reasons why chain case is faster but im not sure what they are

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well that sucks, i was excited last year when i bought it cuz it had act drive cuz i heard it was better to have. guess not.. grrr

·
Registered
302 Posts
its all good bro, its not that big of a deal, small difference. you still have a super fast sled

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Act drive actually gave a slight weight loss to the sled over the chain case because of the missing drive components, one of the major down falls of not having the chain case is that you can not install reverse to the act drive also from my experience it is easier to work on chain case than DD. However some have said that the act, once set up properly is faster than a chain case, That I'm not sure with though. But as said before you still have a fast sled.

·
Team ArcticChat
6,971 Posts
DJ, your sled still rocks man, don't get frustrated with it. No matter what sled you have, your always going to want something more, or something different.

I have a chaincase, so I don't know much about DD. But from what I hear, changing your secondary to a 10.4 will make a huge difference.

Chaincase will get you reverse, but they will both go forward, so have fun with what you've got!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would not say that a chain case drive is better......Faster yes. But better. No. Chain cases have alot of slop not noticable but it does exist. If a planatery gear set (act drive) was such a bad idea enginers for automotive transmissions would not be using them. I would not go and sell your sled because you have a act drive. I can promise you, you will never brake that act drive. I personally would rather have a gear drive then a chain drive anyday.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (firecat f7 @ Nov 17 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would not say that a chain case drive is better......Faster yes. But better. No. Chain cases have alot of slop not noticable but it does exist. If a planatery gear set (act drive) was such a bad idea enginers for automotive transmissions would not be using them. I would not go and sell your sled because you have a act drive. I can promise you, you will never brake that act drive. I personally would rather have a gear drive then a chain drive anyday.[/b]
oh ok, makes sence. i do love my sled and the only reason i would get rid of it would be for a twin spare, but im not loaded so ill keep the F7 lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
for racing applications chain case is much better due to its simplicity of chainging gears, more noisey yes but but look at it this way gears are cheeper to replace and easyer to change, it is noisier but if noise gave me performance id go with it, as of weight im guna say its lighter than diamond drive just my opinion

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i like my diamond drive ,your gonna get different opinions on eveything ,like everyone said dont worry your sled will still be fast,i know mine is,probly to fast Cat happy if ya dont have the 10.4 i would suggest ya might want to get one,and put a ods clutch kit in it

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Nov 17 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i like my diamond drive ,your gonna get different opinions on eveything ,like everyone said dont worry your sled will still be fast,i know mine is,probly to fast Cat happy if ya dont have the 10.4 i would suggest ya might want to get one,and put a ods clutch kit in it[/b]

i dont think i got the 10.4 (not sure what this is) and i planned on a clutch kit. its all stock when i bought it last year!

·
Registered
98 Posts
There's nothin wrong with a Diamond Drive. In the '05 brochure, AC claims the DD shaves 11 lbs. off the sled. I would say that's mostly from the jackshaft you don't need. When clutched properly Diamond Drives work well. I think I'm gonna give this set up a try this year.
Formula X1 Clutch kit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts