Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 550 h1 and today the right front axel made a griding noise. This is the second time this has happend. I've tried to replicate the the problem several times but it hasnt done it since. It seems to be when I'm switching from 4wd low to 2wd high. It doesnt happen right away after switching but a few meters afterwards. The right front axel makes a griding noise then all of a sudden "catches" and the sound goes away and the bike rides normally. It only happens for a second, as soon as the tire makes almost 1 full turn I hear a "snap" and all is back to normal. Like I said I've tired to make it do it again but it wont. It sounds horrible but the bike drives just fine after that. At first I thought a branch was caught in the driveline, got spun around and snapped off and all was well after that. Thats what it sounds like. But after inspection there was no branch or any debris for that matter. I know somethings not right but the bike rides just fine afterwards and it only happens for a second. So its happend twice in 60 miles of riding. Has anyone encountered this? Its under warranty but I'd just like an idea of whats going on before I bring it in. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Still under warranty? Take it back to the stealer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on it. The dealership I deal with is great thats not an isssue, its just easier said than done to actually get the bike back there. I'd just like to go in with some knowlege of whats going on so they dont take for granted that I'm just some clueless consumer.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
are you stopping to go from high to low? and your not shifting in and out of 4wd with wheelspin?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
are you switching into 4wd before going into a hole or while in it?
i usally go into 4wd 2-3 feet before a hole otherwise sometimes the splines dont alighn and a loud snap comes from the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always come to a complete stop before switching from low to high and before switching from 2wd to 4wd. I have switched from 2 to 4 while in the middle of a hole but also at a complete stop. Catwalkin, is there a bit of a grinding noise before the snap?

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catwalkin @ Nov 22 2009, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
are you switching into 4wd before going into a hole or while in it?
i usally go into 4wd 2-3 feet before a hole otherwise sometimes the splines dont alighn and a loud snap comes from the front driveshaft.[/b]

I usually switch in and out of 4x4 while moving. AC advertised as on the fly 4x4. but like stated above, if the splines aren't lined up you may get that loud noise, it can do the same thing on a truck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is that a problem, or is that just how its supposed to be? I know I'm probablly a bit paranoid but I paid alot of money for this thing and want to make sure all is well with it. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SBarkowski @ Nov 22 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I always come to a complete stop before switching from low to high and before switching from 2wd to 4wd. I have switched from 2 to 4 while in the middle of a hole but also at a complete stop. Catwalkin, is there a bit of a grinding noise before the snap? yes sir thats the splines trying to alighn

you can shift from 2wd to 4wd on the fly just do it off throttle also when your in 2wd and go into a hole then apply 4wd thats when your going to hear the front shaft grind and then (((PING)))
then it will be in 4wd.

its not good to swap into 4wd while in a hole, lock her in 4wd a couple feet before you go in , see if that clears the noise you are hearing.
also if it has done this alot you could have galled the splines.
if it keeps doing this even on flat ground take it in to your dealer and have them fix it[/b]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both times its happend I was comming OUT of 4wd after clearing the hole. It hasnt happend since but I'll be bringing it in ayways. Thanks for all the info guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts