Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I ordered an older set of rails from a guy that I am going to cut and then using some aluminum plate and bolts I am going to extend my 121 inch skid to a 136 inch skid. I have seen a bunch of sleds that have done this in here, but my problem is how much longer should I make these rails? I used this math to figure it out, and I am just wondering if this is correct. 136-121= 15 inches of extra track. Ok so half the track is on the ground so of the 15 inches of extra track 15/2=7.5. So does that mean, my extensions need to be 7.5 inches longer? This makes sense but if someone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot guys. Should be done by the end of next week so I need help asap. thanks alot

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chris, it isn't that easy. I want to highly discourage you from attempting to make your own extended rails. Just some aluminum plate and bolts will not be the best way to go, and I believe you would not want it done incorrectly.

Do it the easy, strong and reliable way: Purchase yourself a set of rail extensions. One good outlet is TracksUSA, www.tracksusa.com. Bruce has what you need. You just need to let him know what sled you have. I also recommend his tunnel extension and close off kit, he offers his best prices when you buy everything there.

Quality rail extensions are CNC machined from the proper strength aluminum. They are inletted and relieved to precisely mate to the rear of your existing rails, and the end of them are again made to exactly fit your axle bracketing.

You won't find a single person here or anywhere that says making your own is the way to go. Don't do it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
youve got thre right track and ive done the same thing my self and it worked but here is something else to think about.Your 121&136 trackare both 2.52 involute or 2.52" spacing on the drive lugs,soa 121/2.52=48 lugs,a 136track however would be 136/2.52=53.9 lugs,and you cant have a .9 of a lug,i would bet its actually 54 lugs and then your formula would work fine,if it was 53lugs you would be a 133.5 track and you would have to compensate accordingly,so just to be sure count your lugs on the 136 and make your rail extensions accordingly,i hope this helps you some,i did the same thing my self by putting a 162 2.52 track on and by calculating it,is actually only a 161.25 track which would make a .375" difference in rail length compared to a true 162 track,if those rails you are using are the older non stamped type we used to get another piece of the same rail,cut the extension to required length and run 1/4 X1" aluminum pieces on both sides of it and push it up along that rib above the slider and bolt it all back together,and they lasted forever

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they work good? Yes I am talking about the older style non-stamped. I read the above comment and after reading it told the guy who I was getting the rails from that I was not longer interested and I would look for some legit 136 inch rails. You say that you never had a problem and they held up well huh? I ride rather hard, I am not sno-cross racer but I ride agressively. The problem is, I don't like having to spend 70 bucks on a pair of rails I am only going to use 7 inches of to cut off and junk the rest. If I find a cheap set I will do it. But if I can find a set of 136 inch rails would it be better to just drill the rear arm mount hole a little bit further forward and just run the 136 inch rails on my 121 inch skid and maintain the same mounting holes in the tunnel? Sounds like it would be easier to me. What do you guys think? I appreciate all the help so far guys. Thanks alot

·
Registered
199 Posts
did lots of them just as i said and never broke any of them,it wasthe standard back then,everyone made their own rail extensions,even the 700s,i wouldnt move the back holes as it will change geometry,just add on and leave it alone,if you had a piece of the old rail you would cut it to the same angle as your rear,bolt your pieces on the new piece as they were,run the new sliders right over the new piece,and ride on

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright well I think I will be doing that then!! Track is a legit 136 so I will need to use the math as I did above and making extensions will be cheaper if I can snag a set of rails for cheap. Thanks man, you have been a huge help!!!

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts