Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I'm very new to this forum and it took me 20 minutes to get to 92 and older forum. I have a 79 jag 3000 and fall of 2012 thought I would go over sled, didn't ride the year and two before and it seemed to idle and run like crap and i had removed fuel before parking but thought either way carbs. were dirty. torn down carb. cleaned and reass. ran great! two or three weeks later got some snow and took my six out for a ride and wouldn't start? she was disappointed. took carb. apart again and cleaned and also found had to replace fuel pump and couple of hoses. Man this thing for a 340 carries my 215 lbs. across the field pretty good. run a couple times now I started to get vibration??? found drive belt turned over??? corrected and drove and couple of minutes got vib. back?? belt flipped again, tryed a new belt same thing, owner manual states belt offset can cause belt to flip. searched online and can't find any good places that can explain or show how to correctly set offset. owners manual gives me spec. and center to center seems correct with a tape measure but if I stuck a piece of straight steel in between secondary sheaves can visual see its not straight. when it lays on hex shaft can see its on an angle. my belt is pretty loose. my question is how do i determine if problem is offset or alignment and how much play should there be. I do have spec. for this machine and I'm mechanically inclined but it don't want to just start ripping and tearing without some knowledge. this machine has been well kept prior to my purchase but i'm sure after 33 years things are rusted and corroded fast this is why I don't want take things off or adj. that isn't necessary. thanks any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
One thing to check is to make sure the motor mounts are ok. They are two broad head bolts encased in rubber. If the rubber deteriorates, the bolts seperate and the engine can shift sideways. They are cheap to replace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just check to see if motor was mounted secure with pry bar and it is tight to body but did notice square washer under mount will turn but prying up and over on motor and it doesn't move.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thought maybe i didn't have correct to begin with since i had purchased it used and not sure what had been done to it. double checked and gates asked for a 45.5 long and 1 1/4 wide which is what my parts unlimited is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also took note that belt sits flush down in secondary not a 1/16 or so above as I have read that they should and when I run it can watch belt on driven side ride up and almost out over which is where I believe is what happens when it flips cause you can see skid marks from belt flipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could it be possible do to age of machine that primary is going to close together and pushing belt up and out which then makes it flip?????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts