Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine at work has an 05 500 Auto. He says it has some sort of problem where it feels like it has a stall? Or to put it in his words "When I give it some gas it doesn't seem like it wants to start moving until I get more into the throttle" To me it sounds like it all of a sudden has a stall to it.. or something similar to being in the truck in too high of a gear from a dead stop.

I plan on going over to take a look at it when he gets back into town, and am trying to help him out using my experience with my Kawasaki and Grizzly's belt system.

Is there any common quirks we should know of with this model? I tried asking around on HL a while back, but it almost seems like no one over there has the automatic. Then tried to talk with one of the Arctic Cat Reps at Mud Nationals (mainly looking to see if he had a service manual he could sale me for that bike, and he didn't know much about ATV's ... apparently he was more into the Snowmobile side of it) but that didn't go very far. Hopefully I might find better luck here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
welcome call

Give us some more info on the bike, is it stock, larger tires, exhaust, snorkled, and so on.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Could be that he needs to put a clutch kit in it. If he snorkeled it, he may be in need of rejetting. The list goes on and on. However, if it were me helping him out, I'd pop that belt cover off and see what the belt looks like (may be worn) and check out how much belt dust is in there. If it's dialed in right, dust will be at a minimum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is stock, with the exception of 27" x 10 mud bugs.

I know he talked about snorkeling it, but don't know for sure if he got around to it. In regards to the question about it being snorkeled, based off of my experience with snorkeling my bike, when I had it jetted too rich, I do remember it not running much at all unless I was into the throttle. I didn't think to ask if he finished his snorkel.... and if so, how it was reacting to it... Thanks,

When he gets back into town I will make my way over there and check it out for myself, so I have a better understanding of what's going on.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Turning 27's without a clutch kit in a 500 will zap power out of it, especially when he's in the mud. Sounds like a clutch kit is in order.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
He needs a clutch kit for sure, and probably needs to rejet with the snorkle. Most snorkle setup let more air in, so it'd be lean.

Labs, Yes you'll need a clutch kit to unless you want your cat to be a dog.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
what could be causing the stall now, could be worn out primary sheeve bushings, or worn out rollers... something is causing the primary to hang up and then quick engage... could be that the belt is out of spec.... you need to find the problem, then add the clutch it..

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The problem is he doensn't have a clutch kit, nothing is worn out. The system is out of synic because of the larger tires.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cweinzatl35 @ Apr 27 2007, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what could be causing the stall now, could be worn out primary sheeve bushings, or worn out rollers... something is causing the primary to hang up and then quick engage... could be that the belt is out of spec.... you need to find the problem, then add the clutch it..[/b]

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Labs Rule @ Apr 27 2007, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is it worth the extra dough and buy a complete kit from one of the many manufacturers?[/b]

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
cweintz, here's the deal with the clutch. His belt is likely alright, although I would check it while you're in there clutching it to make sure. The larger tires give the drivetrain more resistance, which requires the belt to engage lower in the secondary before it grabs. Think of it like a manual shift truck on it's own vs. towing a boat. Without a load, the clutch grabs and begins to propel the vehicle at a certain point. Now, if you hook a boat/trailer up to it, the clutch will still begin grabbing at the same point, but you need to let the clutch out further before it grabs enough to begin propelling the truck. Same here, only the larger tires are acting as the trailer/boat. In the case of the ATV though, you can add a clutch kit to help offset those effects. Does that help?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts